Urchin eating Coraline?

shihtzu217

Reefing newb
I think my Urchin is eating my Coraline. When I saw the urchin in the store I asked the worker if he would be safe to have in my tank with corals and wanted to be sure it would not eat anything but the algea. He said it was part of a cleaner crew and would help with tank maintenance. It looks to me like the Urchin is eating my coraline, is that likely? I have some rocks that are covered with coraline but after the Urchin passes over them there is a grey/white trail where he has been. The urchin is really cool so I hate to trade him in but I am hoping to grow coraline on the rocks that are not covered yet and he is not helping if he is gonna eat it as fast as it grows. Anyone else have a Tuxedo Urchin with this problem?

Also, does Coraline ever come in white? I have a couple rocks with small areas that look like they were dipped in white chocolate. I don't know how to describe it except to say Like the coating on an M&M only white, smooth, not raised or fluffy like I would think a mold to look and not like the grey/white area after the Urchen passes through.

When coralline dies or bleach it is white.This usually happen when live rock is first introduce.Under at least moderate lighting,proper calcium(380-450ppm) and akalinity then it should come back.As far as the Urchin,yes they feed on coralline.If you want coralline then the Urchin has to go.

thats true..i had to remove mine cause their appetite is to voracious for coraline that my rocks was turning white..trade it for some other cleanning crue that is more reef safe..good luck..

Until you find a really really good LFS, always assume that anything they tell you is trying to sell you something! That guy should have known that urchins will devour coralline.

Urchins do eat coraline, but I some more than others. I have a rock boring urchin in my tank and he doesn't really eat the coraline on the rocks and if theres other algae he seems to go for that more.

Thats one of the reasons I got rid of my urchin to.
The 2nd reason was because every time I tryed to clean my tank I would end up with a hand full of sharp spines.

Bummer! finally got hubby to go to fish store with me and he liked the Urchin too so he is gonna be bummed to trade him in. He REALLY wanted the Mandarin Goby so maybe will trade for that. Wait. the Mandarin won't eat anything will he? Sucks because I have to drive 2 hours each way to get to a store that sells SW Aquaria. 3 hours to the best store in the state so I guess after I trade Urchin in I will buy exclusively 3 hours away.:grumble:

IF you can find a mandrine that will eat frozen food,then jump on it.But 99.9% of the mandrines need an extremely established tank,with a lot of live rock and a fuge for growing pods.

Give your hubby a flash light with a red lense one night after your lights go off.Thats a sure way to get him hooked on the hobby too.

You might think about a scooter blenny.Their in the same family as the mandrines,but are a lot easier to take care of,and 9 times out of 10 will take right to frozen food.

Definitely wait until your tank is more mature before adding a Mandarin.They tend to fair much better with lots of live rock and a system that has been running for at least 6 months.In the mean time,there are plenty of colorful fish you can go with.I'm with you on the scooter Shihtzu,very blah to me too,red or otherwise.

Back