urchin loosing spines

inuchan74

Reefing newb
Hi all! I've had my pencil urchin for about 6 months. I noticed a few weeks ago some spines laying on the substrate. I tried to look him over but couldn't really see that anything was missing so I assumed they came off the underside of him. But more and more spines were showing up laying around, they started falling off at the bottom of him and moving upwards towards the top. The ones that have fallen out are growing back, he's got lots of short little light brown spines now. There are only like five of his original spines left on the top of him. When I first noticed this I tested the water and the only thing that was off was that the salt level was a little on the higher side so I did a partial change and since then it's been good. The spines kept falling off though so I tried to find out online if this is normal molting or if it's a clue that something isn't right with him or that he's not tolerating the water chemistry well or something. Or maybe he was stressed out? The only tank mates he has are two crabs, two snails, a clarkii and a damsel, and both the fish leave him alone so I can't imagine they are stressing him out.

Anyways, if anyone can tell me if I should worry about this or not, that would be so much appreciated! I love my urchin so much. I try to take the best care of him I can, I even get him frozen krill and thaw it then take a tongs and wedge a krill under him just to make sure he really is getting it. I put frozen krill in the tank anyways, but I always give him a piece of his own just to make sure he's really getting it. I love to watch him pull it under himself and move it around. It's so fascinating! I would be crushed if he died :(
Thank you!!!
Emily

Normally an urchin loosing all its spines is not a good thing. The fact that they're growing back is good. How long has this been going on?

Occasionally I'll find a spine on the substrate from my urchin. He never loses enough where i can tell by looking at him though. Usually a sign of an urchin starting to die is it losing it's spines but, the fact that yours is growing them back sounds like a good thing.

Also, welcome to the site Emily!

What are your nitrates reading? He could have been stressed from the salinity being off. Does he have enough algae to eat?

I'll check the water again when I get home tonight. I'm at school until ten :'(
I think it started like 3 weeks ago but I'm not 100 percent sure. I think he's getting enough algea, there is some good patches growing and I have a couple live rocks. He also eats Krill, I always watch him when he has a krill so I know for sure he's getting it. If there isn't enough algea, would him eating other things make up for that? Or is the algea essential for him to stay healthy?
thanks everyone!
Emily

The dipstick on the nitrate yesterday said it's at the 20 mark... it says on the color chart that it is 'okay' but not ideal... Is that high enough to be effecting him this way? Yesterday I replaced 2 gallons of water (it's a 20 gal tank) and then put something in the water, I think it's called Amquel Plus (not sure about the name have to check it) and that is supposed to bring the levels down but when I just checked it it was still at the 20 marker... So I guess the water change didn't help either.
Here's a picture of my urchin yesterday. He had had 6 of his original spines on the topside but now there is only five today.
Emily

urchin2.jpg

Nitrates at 20 can be deadly to invertebrates like urchins.
Are you using the dip strips to test with? If so,throw them in in tha garbage and get a drip kit.API nitrate kits are pretty cheap and work pretty good.

Amquel Plus doesn't work very well, and can have negative side effects. It should only be used in an absolute life or death emergency.

You need to find out why your nitrates are high, and continue doing water changes. Is your tank overstocked? Do you overfeed? Do you use a canister filter, hang-on-back filter or bioballs? Do you use tap water, or RODI water?

I see you use a crushed coral substrate. That can often lead to high nitrates that are impossible to lower. The particles are so large that they trap detritus and waste, which rots and raises nitrates. You should consider switching to an aragonite sand substrate instead.

Back