Urchin questions......

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
hey there when i bought my LR in the beginning for my tank, about 6 months later of that time i found out that i had 5 black urchins hitch hike their way into my tank. Well almost 1 1/2 years later they are huge. Im gonna try to trade them in at my LFS for credit towards fish/corals. Anyway the questions, what is the proper way of getting them out the tank? Are their spines poisonous?(just taking precautions) The urchins i have are all black, i believe they are long spine, but they could be short spine. Not sure what lengths are considered long or short. Any help will help......lol.....thanks:mrgreen:

if you raise them out of the water in some way (aka grab the rock they are on) they will let go and allow you to handle them with care, as you move them. Also, if you must "pull" them out never pull straight back fro what they are latched on to, work with the animal gently moving it left and right until it detaches itself, when you touch it it will get defensive and make its spines rigid, be careful, as they wont be venomous but they can sure puncture through you if you grab at them.

Above all else, just be careful not for yourself but for the health of the Urchin.

Back