urchin stealing veggies from veggie clip

LittleVictoriaReef

Newbie is a fair assmnt.
Anyone else have this problem? I am trying to give my new tang some veggies and I'll put the clip on the opposite side of the tank from the urchin (Ursala) and the Ursala b-lines it for the clip. I don't suppose there's a food the tang will like but not Ursala...? Tang doesn't seem to care about the veggies... all she wants to do is swim at her reflection in the tank window. :sfish:

The urchins love the algae and apparently you have one that has learned about the veggie clip. How long have you had the tang? The tang will eventually learn to eat from the clip. Try offering it some different colors of algae (i.e. green, brown, red,purple) to see what it likes but still vary the colors as they need variety. Tear off a little piece of algae and roll it between your fingers under the water and let the power heads blow the small pieces around the tank. That has helped me getting some shy tangs to eat until they become more comfortable.

I have only had the tang since Saturday night. She is coming out a lot more but she swims around the clip and essentially ignores it. I think she took an algae wafer I left outside her cave though... Or a fast crab stole it. I'll try some different colors as I have only tried green. I also tried (frozen) lettuce and broccoli. The urchin loved both!

Back