Urchins & Corals

Some, though others, like a Pencil Urchin will graze on corals, Tuxedos, and pink rose urchins are reef safe though.

Most are fine....I particularly like the shortspine urchins, as they don't sem to mess with frags much and do a great job controlling algae.

They're actually pretty gentle, it's surprising. The shortspine ones don't seem to like picking up flotsam. My pincushion picks anything loose up and carries it around.

I especialy like the shortspines. They don't pick things up, are very gentle with corals and frags, decimate any algae on the rocks AND glass, and move around a lot. They tend to do most of their grazing at night and can also eat through your coraline algae.

I know that urchins tend to collect items on their spines and tote them around the tank. Their spines don't hurt/pick-up corals?

Depends on what kind of urchin you get.
Pincushions are bad about picking things up.Others like the short and long spines arent as bad.

someone told me that tuxedos will eat coraline first and then when they have consumed that then they will go to the the types of algae.

true or false?

someone told me that tuxedos will eat coraline first and then when they have consumed that then they will go to the the types of algae.

true or false?

false

Mine seems to really love the red turf algae I have on the rocks.He will eat clean through to bare rock though.
You can track every where he's been in the tank by the lines of bare rock he's left behind him.:D

Back