Urchins, reef safe???

Reeffreak, It was in a tank with only corals. the tank was maybe 8" deep. Not sure of the lighting it was under.......... That s what i did this morning. i moved it down to my lowest rock. and I guess i will see how it does.... So it is not dying just yet right??

Also, the coral food in the bottle that i bought is the Kent marine PhytoPlex. The guy told me to feed it once a week. I just brought the corals home yesterday... When should i put some of that in my tank?

How did your calcium get so high?Regular scheduled water changes should bring it down slowly,sorry I know of no other way.

I not curtain when should feed Your Bubble,maybe today or tomorrow,even if its kinda retracted.I don't think it would hurt none,Then wait a week or so.I gonna look it up because I swore that they fed on larger food like bits of shrimp or mysis shrimp.

Oh maybe you should target feed it with a syringe or turkey baster..

Reeffreak, the guy at the LFS told me to just put some of that in the water... But some people working there just don t give 2 shitz and pretty much tell you whatever they want....... So not su sure on how to do it.... These are my first corals as wel so No experience at all... I guess i will put some of that in my tank tonight(phytoPlex)... hope they will eat........ How do i know if they eat or not???

Okay they feed on both,micro-plankton(which you have) and small kind(Brine,mysis).They say its better to feed them when the lights are out or when the lights first come on because the sweeper tentacles are more expose.The tentacles is what brings food to there mouth.Hope that helps...

Reef freak, i have some frozen mysis. How can i feed it? Can i take my fingers and try to aim for the mouth? how do i know which of the openings is the mouth? i think the bubble coral have 3-4 openings if I m not wrong.... Do i need to shove food in each of it? And how many shripms should I put??

Sxybeemr325 said:
Reef freak, i have some frozen mysis. How can i feed it? Can i take my fingers and try to aim for the mouth? how do i know which of the openings is the mouth? i think the bubble coral have 3-4 openings if I m not wrong.... Do i need to shove food in each of it? And how many shripms should I put??
I don't think you have to aim toward the mouth.If food can be sweep to your coral from the current than do that.If not,target it with a turkey baster or turn the pumps off.It also said that they feed at night when the Tentacles are exposed.

LPS(Large Polyp Stony)coral such as your bubble

when the tentaccles are exposed............ meaning what?/ i don t really see any tentacles on this bubble coral. All i see is flat bubbles.

In your picture I can see that the bubbles and the tentacles are deflated.When they fully open then you don't see the tentacles.I still would go ahead and try or wait a few days and see if it opens.Branching coral such as yours have more than one mouth,usually each branch.

Reeffreak, would you try and feed it tonight or wait...??? i think it started inflating again now....

Ad for the 2 other corals (mushrooms and brain) ir only eats the PhytoPlex right?

I would wait til tomorrow if it was me and feed it before the lights come on or shortly after.The bubble should be retracted and maybe by then the sweeper tentacles are open and exposed.

Sxybeemr325 said:
Reeffreak, would you try and feed it tonight or wait...??? i think it started inflating again now....

Ad for the 2 other corals (mushrooms and brain) ir only eats the PhytoPlex right?

The brain just needs strong light and moderate flow.You can supplement them with phytoplex you have.The mushrooms just need low to moderate current and low to medium lighting.

Both will get their food from the nutrient in the water

I'm glad I bought a Devils Hand and purple bumpy mushrooms=easy care.
Good luck with your first corals....keep us updated as you go along.

Last edited:
I'd move that open brain to the sand. It's a Trachyphyllia right? anyhow the flesh could get torn on the rock and these corals will also benefit from target feeding.

AndyB4784 said:
I'd move that open brain to the sand. It's a Trachyphyllia right? anyhow the flesh could get torn on the rock and these corals will also benefit from target feeding.

Great idea,move your brain to the sand bed Sxy.Tell us how the Bubble looking today.

Hum, well the guy at the lsf told me that this coral needed a lot of light. So on the sand would be ok??? I can surely move it there..... I don't know what kind it is........ Andy, what should i feed it? Mysis as well?

Reeffreak, also, my bubble coral was inflating a little yesterday... Slowly but surely. Woke up this morning, and it s all flat and deflated again!!!!!!!!!!

Andy,

How many shrimps should i give it? 1 or 2? or 8-10? i don t know... how do i know when to stop? or how many to give that thing?? Plus the phytoplex in the water as well right?

Back