Urgent! - Possible Dead Coral in my tank

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Last week I noticed montipora-eating nudibranches all over my plating monti. Over the weekend I moved the coral into its own 5g isolation tank and have been treating it with coral rx every few days. I added an LED refugium light (4 1w bulbs) to the isolation tank as it was all I had. Today I pulled the coral out and discovered that 2/3rds of it have turned an ugly brown color and it smells nasty. I am thinking this is due to insufficient light. So I treated it with coral rx again and moved it back to my DT to hopefully save what was worth saving. Within 5 minutes of putting it back in the DT my nassarius snails have swarmed to it. Given the smell and color, and nassarius snails presence, I am pretty concerned that its a gonner at this point. BUT my bigger concern is whether it is going to poison my tank with ammonia (or something worse) if I leave it in there? I don't have any equipment to frag it. What should I do? [alternatively, the nassarius snails might be going after any dead nudibranches left on the coral after I treated it, even though I rinsed it pretty thoroughly afterwards). Suggestions please!! I'd hate to come back tomorrow and find my fish dead!

Its not going to hurt any of the things in your tank, but you can try and break off the clearly dead stuff to try and save the parts that are still living. Just guide the breaking point with a knife.

Thanks Hannah! The urgent piece was my concern about it causing an ammonia spike in my tank - so thank you for letting me know it won't harm the other inhabitants!

As far as fragging, I'm not exactly sure which parts are dead. In the tank, most of it looks dead, but outside of the tank I can still see some color on it. And outside of the tank the parts that didn't get much light in the isolation tank are the parts that turned brown - but I don't know if that means they are dead or just discolored due to poor light conditions. Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

Prior to moving to isolation (not a great pic, but you can see the color that it was before):

Coloring under flourescent overhead office lights (in the bucket being treated w/ coral rx - you can clearly see the brown and the lighter pink areas in this picture)

And here it is under tank lights tonight (I adjusted the lighting so that it was similar to the first picture, but obviously much less color in the coral - In this pic it doesn't look like any of it is really alive):

Part of me wants to leave it as is in the tank for a few days to see if the color improves under my tank lighting before I frag it, but if the brown parts are really dead and not just discolored, then I might as well frag out the pink parts and try to save that. Any ideas?

Thank you all very much!!

Back