Use of fresh garlic?

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hi all, not sure where to post this, but seeing that I'm still new and suffering, I'll post here! Some of you know I purchased and lost an injured Green banded goby. I think it was yote, and others who mentioned supplementing food with vitamins and garlic to boost the immune system.

So, my question is, can I put a little piece of fresh garlic in with the frozen mysis shrimp or cyclopeze I'm thawing. I usually mix enough for 3-4 days in tank water. Can I leave a little garlic in there, like an 1/8 of a clove, and have it infuse that way? Or is this a once in a while thing to do? It would smell like a nice scampi! Sans the butter! :D

I don't think it will infuse enough that way. If you are going to use fresh, I would smash it up as best you can befor adding it to the food

Thanks Mike, now this technique works for my wife's excellent salad dressing, but I'll try that! Do you use it all the time? or just once in a while? Thanks!

no i dont use it i have some that i have used a couple times when i was trying to get a tang to eat. i put it on the seaweed and let it soak in for a bit then put it into the tank

Last edited:
Yes I mix it in all my thawed and rinsed frozen food. I use GarlicGuard extract by Seachem. I also mix in some VitaChem.

Ahhh! you stumbled on another question of mine. You rinse all your thawed foods? I just started doing this. Good for reducing/avoiding nitrate build up and such. I think this is a good practice, no?
Thanks Mike

It's all good. Thanks Yote. Seeing as I don't run my little 28g with a skimmer (yet), weekly 5gallon changes, rinsing food isn't a bad idea.
Thanks Mike and James for your input. Cheers!

I've never rinsed food and never had water quality problems. My tank has only been running about 6 months...so I don't know if my opinion on that really counts. :) I do add garlic oil and vitamins to mysis shrimp everynight. I let it soak about 5 minutes before feeding. I buy both products at my LFS. The garlic oil is very expensive IMO...so I'm looking into making my own in the future.

I do not rinse any of the frozen food I feed my fish. I figure anything that gets into the water would be good for filter feeders. :dunno:

Yes Ursula, I value your opinion, I am as new as you! I'm going with my fresh garlic whenever I have the time. I'll rinse if I'm experiencing quality issues, and with investigate vitamins for the future! BTW, it's amazing you have the time to voice an opinion with the 4 boys running around! :helm2::helm2::helm2::helm2: :D

Thanks all!

Back