used tank, high nitrate

mm16

Reefing newb
I bought a used tank 92 gallon, when I brought the tank home I took half the water. I filled the other half with rodi water. I tested the nitrates were close to 160, the next day I did another big water change and the nitrates didn't come down much. I replaced the pre filter pad and cleaned the sponge in the sump. Today I did another water change 35% and still didn't come down much at all. I tested with 2 different test kits and the same reading. Is there something I'm missing? Can there be something in the rock (i have about 100lb).

When the tank was moved, all the crap and crud was stirred up from the rocks and the sand (especially the sand), which us causing the high nitrates.

Keeping doing your 35% weekly until they get under control. Also how many fish does the tank have and how often and what are you feeding? Did they use tap water?

I have 5 fish all small, and I mostly feed them the frozen brine shrimp cubes about less then a quarter of it. They used rodi water, but it looked like they gave up on the tank. Should I hold off on putting the fish in, I still have them in the my other tank?

Yes, I would wait until you get the nitrates under control. I would also stop feeding brine shrimp, it has almost no nutritional value and is pretty much just fish candy. Switch to a high quality mixed food, much better for your fish.

Emerald entree is a good mix, and yes it's frozen. How small are the fish? Hopefully Emerald entree isn't too big for them. Also, check your premixed saltwater before putting it in your tank...make sure your new batch of water has 0 nitrates. Plus at 160ppm, it's possible your nitrates are even higher, but just not registering, hence why it's taking so long.

Since you have no fish in there, the 35% water changes daily are good. I would also try to get as much crap that is floating around the tank. Take your power head and shoot it at your rock work just prior to the water change. Try no to stir the sand too much though.

Would it be a better idea to take all the water, and sand out of the tank and put everything new in (except for the live rock)?

When I start over, take all the water out, and sand. What do I do with the live rock? Do I to clean it?
Thanks

But just be prepared, the rock might have so much nitrates and detrius inside it that it might start leaching out. Raising the nitrates again. But eventually, they will get back down. Remember, only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a disaster. You are on your way to getting a nice tank set up. It just takes some time.:Cheers:

I just finished draining all the water and taking the old sand out. I shook the live rock to try to get all the crap out. I filled the tank with all new mixed rodi water, new sand,and cleaned the sump. Did I forget anything? Now wait until the tank cycles.

Back