Used tank question

Christine

Reefing newb
I just bought a used 55 gallon aquarium that the previous owner had set up for saltwater. It came with the sand and all the rocks. Do I need to clean the sand and the rocks before I do any setting up? She had it in storage for quite a while.

Thanks in advance

Yes I would clean the rocks and sand. As daunting as is sounds I think it is worth the effort in the long run. I had washed all the rock and sand in my tank before adding it. I had scrubbed all my rock in water mixed with a very small amount of bleach in a rubber maid tub. l then scrubbed it with RO/DI water and dechlorinator and kept soaking it in RO/DI water and kept doing 100% water changes in the tub until I was sure all of the bleach odor had disappeared. With the sand I just kept soaking it in a tub with RO/DI water and stirred it up and did 100% water changes until the the water eventually ran clear. It took awhile but I think it was well worth it. If you are just starting out you have plenty of time. Take your time and DO NOT RUSH patience is one of the biggest parts of this hobby, do lots of research and do not hurry. There are lots of really helpful knowledgeable people on this forum that will help you out with good advice.

https://www.livingreefs.com/up-and-running-t40847.html

Last edited:
I wouldn't scrub the rock unless he had some sort of invasive pest that is hard to get rid of. The sand needs rinsed very thoroughly though.
EDIT: I should read more thoroughly ;) Now I see it has been in storage. Yes, clean it well :)

I wouldn't use the old sand. I would just pitch it and buy new aragonite sand from the pet store. Old sand could have all sorts of crap in it and it can be difficult to clean.

As for the rock, I wouldn't go so far as bleaching it. That's unnecessary for dry rock. I would hose it off with the garden hose to dislodge any dust and dirt. Then when you put it in your tank, be sure to add a little bit of dechlorinator.

Thanks for the tips! I am definitely going to take my time doing this. I am not in any hurry. I mean, don't get me wrong-i can't wait to see fish in there, but better safe now than sorry later :)

Back