Used tanks and copper?

Are you talking about only the tank itself or things like rocks, etc. too.

I believe the tank itself can be reused if cleaned properly (probably w/ vinegar) and other glass or plastic items, but not the rocks, sand, etc.

I'm not 100% on this so hopefully someone will tell you a definite answer soon.

Just the tank, everything else would get tossed. I haven't gotten an answer back on the tank anyways, just curious

Yeah, the tank should be safe if you clean it well. Everything else needs to be pitched. If you are unsure if it's clean or not, buy a copper test and test the water once you fill it.

I'm just thinking of picking it up as a long term project. Its a 120 with stand and canopy for 250, which is really cheap up here. I'd probably drill it, and buy lighting, etc over the next several months, finally moving everything from the 46 by x-mas

long term? Yeah right! I bet you have that thing with water in it in a month! A true reefer cannot look at an empty tank for more than 1 day.

long term? Yeah right! I bet you have that thing with water in it in a month! A true reefer cannot look at an empty tank for more than 1 day.

A true reefer needs to practice patience religiously. I on the other hand am not a true reefer because im the 1-day type.

I am the one day type, but my budget is dictating a long term project......the tanks will be cold outside if I foreclose on the house.

Nothing generally needs to be "pitched." Look in the articles section for the article on cleaning copper from live rock. Acid baths miht seem scary, but they really are no scarier than the opposite sex, and probably safer to handle. There really is a lot for more factual information available in the articles section than in the general forum section.

Back