Uses for the dirty RO/DI water

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
So having had to use my ro/di a lot this month, my water bill finally did go up a little (probably also due to a toilet that needs fixed). So I'm now taking the dirty water and putting it on reserve. I figured I'd use it to help cure my garf rock. But also thought I'd give the water for my dogs. Think it's bad to give your dog that kind of dirty water?? What else woudl you guys use your dirty water for?

I wish it was summer so I could use it to water my lawn!

i would use it to water plants and my yard but that dirty water is so full of minerals that have been tanken out i would not use it for much else.

I wouldn't give it to your dogs. It has such a high concentration of salts and minerals that you could cause an ionic imbalance in their bodies. Lots of people use it for doing the laundry.

These people speak the truth.

BUT, with high concentrations of some minerals, I wouldn't even feel comfortable using it to water my plants. Sucks, but mine goes down the drain. I wouldn't use it to feed/water any animals though..that's a for sure thing.

I think the toilet is the best place to reuse it, if at all. Doing laundy with it sounds interesting, though. Problem is my rodi is in the basement, my washing machine is in the 3rd floor. Lots of lugging!

I have heard of people using the waste stream for water changes in their freshwater systems, but that's around here where tap water tds is only 30.

I live in an apartment and I don't pay for water. Mine goes down the drain. Seams a waste, but it's nothing compared to the damage one oil tanker does when the captain runs it into the rocks. :Cheers:

All in perspective............

isn't that just tap water coming out of the rodi unit? i was under the impression that water is tap water which by-passes the filter due to excess water pressure entering the unit? did that make any sense to anyone? it's been a long day.:frustrat:

The dirty water coming out is actually dirtier than the tap water going in. RO works by forcing waterparticles through a membrane. The impurities stay on the one side of the membrane and only water gets through. This makes the impurities a higher concentration on the side where the dirty water comes out

Back