Using natural sea water

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I live near the sea and I could use some sea water. I have a smaller tank and would not need to haul huge quantities. But sea water would have to be filtered in some way to get parasites out. (I came out of the ocean once after a swim to find something literally eating into my leg and leaving blood running down my leg).

How could one filter sea water? And what about pollution sea water?

I dont know how you could filter seawater without taking out the salt,calcium,and stuff.plus what you'd get there at the shoreline would be pretty nasty.
I think if you wanted to use the natural seawater,that it would be better to use a boat and collect it 4 or 5 miles out at least.
Would be nice to have natural seawater though.

Uv sterilizer is the only thing I can think of but you would definitely have to get off the shoreline. The beach is the oceans skimmer so anything within a couple miles will be contaminated. Good luck!

The shoreline really is the most polluted area of the ocean.,you would need to go offshore for miles.Running a UV will kill parasites but leaving them in the water to rot wouldn't be good,not worth it.

I would not use water from the shore. It is so polluted and you'd really be harming your tank. There is natural seawater sold in boxes at Petco that I've seen (it's like $25 for 4 gallons or something crazy like that) but it is collected a dozen miles off of shore where there is a much less risk of pollution. Especially where you are -- in Virginia (where I used to live, in Falls Church), this is a heavily developed, industrial and polluted area. I would say no effin way.

What's wrong with salt mixes?

Scripps Aquarium in San Diego has a place to get sea water on tap that has been cleaned up for use in aquariums. I would check with the local aquarium to see if they have an idea, if you are dead-set on getting ocean water.

I am a fan of salt mixture. especially for a small tank, the most is nominal and the benefit for coral is amazing.

-Doc

i just got done listening to a podcast about this very thing. basically you do not want to collect from shore like everyone else has mentioned. You want to collect it 4+ miles off shore. the guest the host had on the show used it all the time without even filtering it out. he would use a bucket tied to a nylon rope and drop it done 3-4 feet so that he wasn't collecting surface water. download the podcast at this link to see what they had to say.

Using Natural Seawater

Back