Using "Red Shifted" reef bulbs for terrestrial grow-lights and planted tanks ?

RockStacker

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding repurposing "red-shifted" reef bulbs for planted tanks or as grow-lamps for indoors?

The red-heavy spectrum of old reef bulbs seem to line up with what chlorophyll based plants want anyway.
Terrestrial plants like both blue and red spectrum, but do not seem to really care which one they get as long as they get plenty of it.
*** By the way, this is due to my orchid growing background. I do not grow the "other" popular (and controversial) indoor plant.

I am thinking that this could give the old bulbs an extended meaningful use instead of being tossed by the reefer as soon as they red-shift.

Heck, if this is true then maybe we could set up some sort of exchange where reefers can sell/donate old bulbs to plant growers with compatible fixtures :)

Algae is a big problem when it shifts though, isnt it?

On my itty bitty planted tank i use a normal desk lamp with a cfl bulb lol

If you use red shifted reef bulbs they encourage red algae which may cause a nuisance. To avoid that you need to change your bulbs regularly and also change the water regularly. You also can avoid by protein skimming and feeding lightly and also stop adding supplements.

Back