UV sterilization.

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
I have always heard and read that systems with UV sterilizers, when used properly in conjuction with a filtration system can help greatly in our quest for crystal clear water. However, I have also heard that UV will kill copepods and beneficial organisms in the tank. It's often a subject of hot debate, but others say you can get around this by just running the UV during the day, and not at night, which is when corals seem to most often feed.

Here's some information I found from the site below, I found 5 very interesting. I think when ever I get chance to set up a reef tank I'll experiment with UV, but instead of plumbing it inline with the sump, I'll put it in the tank or hang it off the back. That way any beneficial lifeforms in the sump won't pass through the UV on their way up.

Thoughts?

Ultra-violet steriliztion, How UV sterilizers work, What is UVC and more

FACTS ABOUT UV STERILIZATION;

Here are few things UV Sterilization will NOT do:

[1] UV sterilization will not cure infected fish of bacterial or fungal diseases. A UV can aid in cure by killing bacterial pathogens in the water column and fungal spores, also by improvement of the
Redox potential (which is much more important then many realize based on scientific research) and general water quality.

[2] A UV sterilizer will not kill ich trophozoites already on the fish (but then medications don’t either), but UVC can again slow the spread of ich tomites in the water column (but usually not out right kill ich tomites). However by water quality improvement (such as Redox Potential) and lowering of pathogenic bacteria, the fish has more natural resistance to fight Marine Cryptocaryon or FW Ich.

[3] A UV sterilizer will not kill beneficial bacteria such aerobic bacteria, as this bacterium is effective when attached to a surface of high water flow such as the sponge of a sponge filter, not when in the water column. In fact relatively new scientific evidence shows nitrifying bacteria to be sticky and adheres to the surfaces like glue this is why the myth of UV Sterilizers killing beneficial bacteria is just that, a myth. It still may be best to turn off a Sterilizer unit when introducing bacteria in liquid form to seed a new aquarium.

[4] UV Sterilization will not remove or destroy algae growing on tank or pond sides, rocks, decorations, ect.

[5] UV Sterilization will NOT kill off copepods and other small life forms in a Reef or Nano Reef Aquarium. These copepods live at or near the bottom of live rock piles (making a pile with small pieces is best for copepods), they are not active in the water column. If properly installed, the UV should have at least a fine pore sponge filter media as a pre-filter, which will further stop the “ingestion” of these and other minute life forms (the UV benefits as well by being more efficient). Also even “pods” that do mange to find their way into the UV Sterilizer are rarely killed due to size.
The bottom line here is that I have maintained MANY Reef aquariums with UVs with growing copepod, anemone and other creature populations. Honestly this is one of the worst urban myths in the aquarium hobby about UVs (mostly spread on the internet in misinformed forums which never conduct or read scientific evidence to back up these absurd statements). The only truth to these statements is that UV Sterilizers can destroy some microscopic food sources needed by some of these organisms (usually planktonic algae, although timers that turn the UV on in the dark hours are an easy remedy for this possible problem).

[6] UV Sterilization NOT remove minerals from aquarium water, however UVC Sterilization will also aid in the removal of oil based (carbon based) pollutants.

[7] UV Sterilization will NOT make up for poor aquarium maintenance practices such as over crowding, over feeding, inadequate filtration, poor cleaning practices, improper water parameters, and more.

For me,as of right now the cons out weigh the pros when it comes to UV.Just like about everything we use equipment and chemicals,there always seems to be pros/cons.

I can only speak of my experience. I have been running my 125 with a UV since the day I got it. Do my fish still get ICH? yup. does it go away fast? Yup. Is my water clear - hell ya. My tank has always looked pretty good with A UV and I will always use one in a tank over 100 gallons. Once you reach a tank that size, it seems to need a lot of cleaning systems since the amount of fish you will put in there will be so great. I am a fan of the UV in a reef

-Doc

I'm thinking about running UV on my next tank... After seeing my friends 55 the water looks clearer than straight aquafina bottled water. Looked fricking amazing... And after reading that article, it looks like there arent really any cons. But also doesnt sound like as many pros as I previously though, but hey, crystal clear water is a big enough pro for me.

i heard they take out some benificiol stuff for corals but i dont believe that.they help kill ich and other parasites,kills alga

For me,as of right now the cons out weigh the pros when it comes to UV.Just like about everything we use equipment and chemicals,there always seems to be pros/cons.

my thoughts exactly !! if it were me ... i would do TONS more research rather than go with that 1 single article before adding one.

I have a uv sterilizer for my 40 reef (well, soon to be reef, have live rock and that is all, but it's cured and I'll soon be adding more life to it). I can't decide if I want to inline it or put it on a seperate system, any suggestions?

I think I'm set on a UV sterilizer, this being the second time I've had an ich outbreak. My question is, some say that they can be used at the outlet of a canister filter. How exactly does this work? I have the Aquaclear 30 and was wondering how exactly do I adapt a UV to the canister? Or am I misunderstanding the idea?

I'm not sure I'm following you, Freak. I don't think I have a hose on my canister filter? Aquaclear 30 is a canister filter right?

No the aquaclear 30 isn't a canister filter so you won't be able to hook a UV to it..Its a HOB(hang on back)mechanical/chemical filter.Sorry,you said canister so I assumed its a canister that sit under the stand.

Last edited:
Back