UV Sterilization

cudamon

Reefing newb
In a 220 FOWLR tank, is it necessary to install a uv sterilizer. One of my LFS is "strongly" recommending it. I see how it could be useful, but being necessary is quite different. Anyone got any input? I'm thinking something smells funny and he might be full of :pooh:

Not necessary. Some people like them, some people don't. Most people don't use them. I have never used one. There are pluses and minuses to them. They can be helpful in tanks with disease prone or especially sensitive fish. But they will also kill good things (plankton, pods, beneficial bacteria) that pass through them.

Not necessary. Some people like them, some people don't. Most people don't use them. I have never used one. There are pluses and minuses to them. They can be helpful in tanks with disease prone or especially sensitive fish. But they will also kill good things (plankton, pods, beneficial bacteria) that pass through them.

Thanks for the info Sarah. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I think I'll keep the $280 he wanted me to spend.

Back