UV sterilizer bad for reef?

bhill27

Reefing newb
i was going to get a uv sterilizer for my fowlr and reef tanks. but i heard that the uv wasnt good for a reef because it kills the food for the corals. So is it a bad idea to put one on my reef tank?

Some people use them for a short period if there is something specific they are dealing with. others use them for brief periods on a schedule like once every other week but most do not use them on reef tanks

Most of the beneficial bacteria is in the rock and sand so the UV won't kill much of it. Your plankton however could take a hit from the UV and filter feeders depend on it. Run UV only if you have a speciifc problem that needs it.

Most of the beneficial bacteria is in the rock and sand so the UV won't kill much of it. Your plankton however could take a hit from the UV and filter feeders depend on it. Run UV only if you have a speciifc problem that needs it.
Which is the million dollar question....i just read your ich thread and i'm hoping you don't think this is the answer...for the record i don't have one and don't plan on one

Funny how opinions work. Most who have them swear by them and those who don't, say they aren't necessary. I did not run one on my system for the first couple of years, but then I added one. I for one believe in the benefits of them. Not one single outbreak of a fish disease after adding it, even when adding 6 Tangs at once. I also believe the water is clearer. I run mine 24/7 as well. There is a lot of evidence that points towards the benefits of them. Anything that can possibly make my tank more stable and easier to maintain is a plus. My suggestion is to try one for a year and then see for yourself. Just be sure to get one powerful enough.

Which is the million dollar question....i just read your ich thread and i'm hoping you don't think this is the answer...for the record i don't have one and don't plan on one

that thread was about a different tank.. but i was hoping it would help out with preventing ich and killing most of it in the swimming stage

Back