UV Sterilizer

mikewurtz

FOWLR Power!
I've been looking all over the web and I've found conflicting information on how often you should run your UV sterilizer.

I read articles claiming that the most effective way to use them is 24/7 operation. And, I also read that they work best when operated for 6-9 hours at a time.

Can anyone offer any insight?

I ran mine 24/7 - I had a fully submersible for a 29g biocube and the moment I shut it off, I had pretty hard core algae within the week. I've read conflicting items as well, and it's hard to say what's right, but overall the 24/7 worked for me, I never tried other timed periods.

Yeah, I've been running mine 24/7 for the last 7 months. Someone told me that was a horrible idea because it's also killing beneficial organisms. So i decided to research it. I haven't found any solid evidence against continuous use, so I think I might just leave it on.

Yeah, I've been running mine 24/7 for the last 7 months. Someone told me that was a horrible idea because it's also killing beneficial organisms. So i decided to research it. I haven't found any solid evidence against continuous use, so I think I might just leave it on.

I would assume during a cycle you wouldn't want to be running it; however, keep in mind that the sterilizer is only killing bacteria (good and bad) that is being passed THROUGH the light. Nothing on your live rocks, sump, sand bed, etc will be 'sterilized' - just free floating organisms. It will not remove algae or other bad growths that already exist on rocks, powerheads, etc.

Additionally it does not remove bacteria - it simply breaks the DNA structure to kill it. The sterilizer I purchased had a foam filter internally which became a nitrate magnet - so I had to make sure I was cleaning it regularly.

Back