Uv Sterlizer

fishman

Reefing newb
Sterilizer arrived today .I got the Turbo Twist 3x9 by Coralife .This is my first sterlizer .Some say run it all the time others say put it on a timer .Does anyone have any advise .THANKS

Im not real up on them but I run my 24/7 with no issues that I know of. With your algea bloom you had it wouldn't hurt to run 24/7 for a week or so to kill that stuff.

since you have indicated you have had problems with ich in the past and alga i would run the sterilizer 24/7 to start. make sure you fully purge the sterilizer and get all of the air out. flow should be adjusted to the manufacturers specifications. a little slow will increase the kill strength, too fast will reduce the effectiveness. hope this helps.

I run my 24/7 with a slower flow.

Faster flow (high end of manufactures recommendation) will kill most algea

Slower flow (if your trying to kill everything in the water) yes this will get good and bad and why some put it on a timer.

I'm sure you are aware, but a frequent cleaning of the quartz tube is needed to keep it working correct.

Good luck.

From what I have read in a few books you are best to run them 24/7 ... even at that usage the bulb should last 6 months - While we are on the subject of UV sterilisers can anyone recommend one for a 240 litre (60 US gallon) tank as I have recently purchased a tang and have heard they are particularly prone to ich?!

turbo twist 3x - mounting?

Any ideas how to connect via tubing and etc? i bought some 5/8 tubing from home depot and started to connect everything. The problem is, you need to get some tubing elbows or else you're gonna need a lot of slack to make turns without pinching the tub.

I saw some 90' elbows on the net and wondered if anyone can suggest some fixed/hard tubing to use w/ the turbo twist 3x...

fyi: i bought a 145gph marineland powerhead to connect to....

thx,
reg

home depot also caries threaded to tube adapters, T adapters and L adapters they are usually in or around the sprinkler and watering systems.

I used those to hook up my UV.

Hope that helps.

home depot - threaded adapters

cool. i saw some stuff in the plumbing section, but wasn't sure how those 90' elbows or t-adapters would connect w/ the tubing i found.

How did you keep the tubing from loosing up and leaking some water during transition ?

Also, did u connect any pieces of rigid tubing or pvc for the water return back into the tank?

reg23x said:
cool. i saw some stuff in the plumbing section, but wasn't sure how those 90' elbows or t-adapters would connect w/ the tubing i found.

How did you keep the tubing from loosing up and leaking some water during transition ?

You could use a jubilee clip to make the connection between the pipe and steriliser extra tight? Get them from your local hardware store or on eBay for a few quid (or dollars)

home depot - threaded adapters

Also, did u connect any pieces of rigid tubing or pvc for the water return back into the tank?

Here is how my UV sterilizer is plumbed in...

DSCF0051.JPG

Sorry about the sideways picture. :mrgreen:

Try a plumbing supply house. Home Depot will send you away with some crazy setup. Take your sterilizer with you and let the guys know what you are doing. They should be able to keep it simple and save you money & headache!
Journeyman Plumber Burney Warren
Warren Water Works

How it was explained to me (about UV) is you either sterilize or you don't (run 24/7 or don't at all).

I was told that you create a disease free environment when running UV 24/7 long-term. This lowers the inhabitant’s immunities. If you suddenly shut it off the inhabitants are more susceptible.

This may be why some use timers. They may have it on every other day, half the day at a time, or maybe only a few hours a day. Perhaps they think that it will work without lowering immunities or something - I don't know.

I did hear that clicking the UV on and off hurts the bulb so I would just leave it on or leave it off. I personally love my UV sterilizer. It made a huge aesthetic difference overnight! The fish appeared to be suspended in mid air the water was so crystal clear. I had ick as well that came in on a fish I bought. The ick jumped on just about everything. I haven’t seen ick in years since I used UV.

Back