V lion with ich

kmart189

Reefing newb
So I got up this morning and ich all over tiny white dots on the upper portion of his body i gave him a shrimp stuffed with garlic and then did a freshwater dip and now it looks like he is shedding some of his skin should I continue the fw dips or not? wait til he is done shedding and take a look? I have tried meds when other fish have had it and I always end up killing them so I will definately continue the garlic. What if anything would you guys do differently. Another thing I noticed is he has cloudy eyes is this bc he is shedding or does he have flukes to or just an added symptom of the ich.:frustrat:

the ick can attach to the eye, I've seen it in FW fish. I would put him in a QT and treat that with some meds. Follow the directions on the bottle. Keep him in the QT for about 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the ick in the DT. If you have more than one fish, you need to put them all in QT

Brian

You really have three choices.

Is he still eating? If so, keep feeding him foods loaded with garlic and hope for the best. I too wouldn't do any more freshwater dips. Fish usually are pretty good at fighting ich off themselves, as long as your water quality is good and they still are eating.

Option two is to remove all your fish from the display and treat them all in a quarantine tank. Just treating the lionfish won't help much, as soon as you put him back in the tank with the other fish, he will get ich again.

Option three is to see if your LFS can take the fish, quarantine them and treat them. I know some LFSs will do this (usually for a small fee). This may be your best option if you don't have a quarantine tank.

If it was me, and the fish was still eating, I'd leave him be to see if he can get rid of it himself. If he's not eating though, chances are you'll need to intervene to medicate.

You really have three choices.

Is he still eating? If so, keep feeding him foods loaded with garlic and hope for the best. I too wouldn't do any more freshwater dips. Fish usually are pretty good at fighting ich off themselves, as long as your water quality is good and they still are eating.

Option two is to remove all your fish from the display and treat them all in a quarantine tank. Just treating the lionfish won't help much, as soon as you put him back in the tank with the other fish, he will get ich again.

Option three is to see if your LFS can take the fish, quarantine them and treat them. I know some LFSs will do this (usually for a small fee). This may be your best option if you don't have a quarantine tank.

If it was me, and the fish was still eating, I'd leave him be to see if he can get rid of it himself. If he's not eating though, chances are you'll need to intervene to medicate.

Thanks everyone I will discontinue the fw dip, but I still have trust in them He looks so much better already after coming home from work He's eating fine I'm confident that I caught it early enough I will go with the if it was me...since I don't have a qt I know of a lfs that will do the treatment, but don't know how much $$$

Back