vacuum sand bed or not, that is the question

dschertz

Reefing newb
I was running 0 nitrates when on a water change I stirred up a mess apparently, I vacuumed some sand and stirred it up a little now I have had steady nitrates around 10 and maybe between 20. Is it best to leave the bed alone or will poop etc. start making it rise (5 small fish in a 50g) I also believe I might be over feeding.

If you normally don't vacuum the sand bed, then don't. If you have a habit of vacuuming the sandbed every 2 weeks with a water change, things will be fine.

I was running 0 nitrates when on a water change I stirred up a mess apparently, I vacuumed some sand and stirred it up a little now I have had steady nitrates around 10 and maybe between 20. Is it best to leave the bed alone or will poop etc. start making it rise (5 small fish in a 50g) I also believe I might be over feeding.

I've made the same mistake. If there is a lot of detritus in your sand bed and you want to get rid of, then try stirring only very small sections once every few days. If there is hydrogen sulfide in your sand bed and you release it, it could kill everything but only really old sand beds with tons of detritus will result in hydrogen sulfide. Also, good flow and floss will keep dead stuff from settling into the sand to begin with.

Sand stirrers will not deep stir your sand bed. I keep mine stirred by hand.

ok, saturday I did another 10% change (5g) 2 weeks in a row now, nitrates were around 5 when I started (vacuumed a little sand) this morning I noticed the water a little cloudy and nitrates were around 20, what gives:frustrat:

It's overall best to not disturb the sand...leave that job to your cuc.
+1. Try to just leave it alone. Thats what your flow if for. So that you don't have any dead spots that accumulate garbage. All the critter in the sand bed will get the rest for you.

Recently I tested my nitrates and they were a bit over 20 so I did a water change and vacuumed the san. I tested them again afterwards. They were 40!

If you normally don't vacuum the sand bed, then don't. If you have a habit of vacuuming the sandbed every 2 weeks with a water change, things will be fine.

It's overall best to not disturb the sand...leave that job to your cuc.

You're stirring up the sand, releasing nitrates

Yep, you keep releasing them...try leaving the sand alone for awhile, while doing water changes.

+1. Try to just leave it alone. Thats what your flow if for. So that you don't have any dead spots that accumulate garbage. All the critter in the sand bed will get the rest for you.

Recently I tested my nitrates and they were a bit over 20 so I did a water change and vacuumed the san. I tested them again afterwards. They were 40!

Yep and it'll keep happening when you mess with the sand bed, make sure to read the previous posts.

I have no choice in my mantis tank. I vaccume the top layer every water change because of the cyno, dead body parts ect....i really havent ever tested it because nothing has gone wrong. My mantis is healthy, my softies are growing.....i guess like a previous post said if u been doing it from day 1 its okay to mess with the upper prtion but if not id leave it alone......

well mine isn't getting any better, 3 water changes in less than 3 weeks maybe like 2 weeks and 2 days( 5g, 10g,10g), added purigen on saturday and just did another change today and still at 40, wtf. I am getting stressed:frustrat: also had the lfs test water with same results.

now I am reading some other issues with bio wheels, I am running a marineland 400 with bio wheels, part of the problem or no?

For sure could be. If your not changing the filters the day they need changing it's basically a nitrate trap....alot of ppl don't use bio wheels because of this reason alone. I've been lucky enough to never have issues. Still want to switch to a skimmer eventually

Back