Varied Menu for LT Anemone

picardoflik

Reefing newb
I have been feeding my long tentacle anemone exclusively freeze-dried krill for the past few weeks usually every few days. He takes it and eats it, although on rare occasions, he will expel half-digested food if the piece I gave him was particularly large.
My question is: can I feed it any other food that will be healthy and accepted by the nem? I heard of store-bought small fish, but I would guess they have to be salt-water species, and I'm kind of concerned about any additives, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

And if u are getting stuff on the market make sure its fresh and isn't prepared with spices or anything to add flavor for humans.

Mussels, clams, shrimp and oysters from the seafood or frozen section of the grocery store all work fine. They should be unseasoned and raw.

Anemone Feeding/Foods/Nutrition: Types, Frequency, Amount, Wastes
"Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone.
For almost all varieties kept, an occasional (weekly or so) perfusion (wash?) of live brine shrimp, prepared mash of frozen or dried food, or frappe' (as in with your blender) of "fresh" marine food meant for human consumption (shellfish, shrimp, langouste, not-so-oily fish) with or without supplementation. Temporarily turn off your particulate filters and squirt the food onto their tentacular surface."

Capt's right in that most people over feed their anemones.People tend to over feed their tank even without an anemone in there. A properly stocked reef tank should be able to support itself without the need to feed. But unfortunately we have a tendency to buy fish on their looks alone when we'd be better off if we'd choose fish for what they can do for the tank instead.
BUT,,,

In addition to what's already been suggested. You can also feed you anemone a silverside every now and then.

Back