Very basic sump operation questions

montoya

Reefing newb
Although I've had a Saltwater tank of one sort or another for years I've never had a wet/dry and/or sump of any kind. I've always run my hang-on Bio-Wheel (Emperor 400) combined with a separate protein skimmer. The Bio-wheel actually does a pretty decent job but I really have to keep on top of the filter pad changes which gets expensive.

I want to upgrade to a sump but have three very basic questions:

1) My tank (55g) is not drilled so I would use an overflow/siphon box. Will the Siphon "break" during every power outage causing a flood when the power returns and water starts pumping back into the tank?

2) How do I size the return pump? Do I try to target a certain number of "turns" of my tank volume each hour?

3) What are some decent return pump styles/brands to look at for my 55 g with about a 10 - 15 gallon sump? I'm trying to figure out how much money I need to budget above the price of the sump/overflow.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome. Good movie with getting a sump setup.

Here are your answers:

1. There is always the risk but if you get a overflowbox w/ u-Tube, your risk will be significantly less. I have that overflow box and to this day, it hasnt stopped the siphon even with all power off. But, i wouldn't say its 100% safe, there is always the risk of air getting inside the u-tube.

2) Yes, it depends how much flow the overflowbox can handle. Generally its 600GPH. So if you get a pump rated at 600GPH, it will actually pump something like 400GPH because pushing the water upwards over 3 feet or so will slow it down.

3) This one i will let someone else answer as im not too familiar with all the pumps that are available.

Good luck.

Cthegames got it covered.
On a 55,I'd use something along the lines of a Mag-7.At 3ft of head it should give you 500GPH.Which most over-flow boxes can easily handle.

1-A good overflow box will stop and start back up after a power outage.There is always a tiny risk.The Lifereef overflow box are considered the best on the market.

2-You size the return pump to match your overflow.If the overflow box is rated at 600gph max then you will need a pump that does 600gph or less.Put into account that pumps lose alot of gph the higher or further the pump has to move the water.A mag 7 or 9.5(700gph and 950gph at zero head height) would work fine with a 600gph overflow box.They will only be pumping 300-500gph at a head height of four feet.Remember to always put a ball valve on the return side of the pumpThere you will be able to control how fast the water is being returned.
3-Mags for internal pumps and Panworld for external water pumps.

Most overflow boxes can be attached to a small pump (the one on my old tank cost less than $10) that will restart the siphon in case of a power outage.

Back