Vinegar test

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
How exactly is this done? just dropping some vinegar on the sand? If it reacts (fizzing) its good, if not move on.

I started looking at some alternatives to expensive lfs sand, and ready to get rid of the CC, and found this oldcastle, southdown stuff. Sold at local wal-marts home depots etc. going to go check some out tomorrow. 20 lbs=15 or more at lfs, 50 lbs=3-4$ at wal mart.

most play sand has alot of silcates.But I have heard some using it mixed with live sand.But as John said its not recomended.

From what ive read this sand says. Tropical play sand. Some have actually tested it and comes out almost exactly like the arag stuff that costs a ton more. Its made from the same people. Im getting 150 lbs of it already live though from a local guy. Also getting some select LR from him also when I go to meet him.

Anything I should look for?

well it seems like you have made a decision. keep us posted on how your system performs with this substrait. My opinion on the use of southdown has not changed, but, I hope you have great success with it. On the live rock it should smell fresh. if it smells rotten you will have to do some serious curring, if it smells like the ocean you are good to go. In the helpful articles there is information on LR, and how to deal with it when you get it home. good luck on your system. keep us posted.

Back