Vinny's First 29g Journey

I use an algae scrubber too. I set mine up when I was cycling as well. When you "scuff" up the screen use a sawzall blade..It works alot better than the hole saw in the DIY thread., doesn't take nearly as long...make sure it's scuffed up real good. Turn the lights on, you'll barely see anything for the first week or two..but it will fill up. Make sure you clean it every 7 days. If you have any questions shoot me a PM, I'll be more than happy to help if I can.

Thanks PRC! I will be sure to shoot u a PM if I have any questions, I decided that the benefits of the algae scrubber cannot be overlooked so it was almost a no brainer after i read into it a lot. Its taking a long time for this to all come together but i guess this hobby is all about patience right? :)

Pic update! i finally got the cabinet/stand ready to go, Just primed it tonight and going to paint tomorrow, do the plumbing, and on Thursday fill the bad boy up!

0727001954a.jpg

After the build.

0727002145.jpg

Priming

You're gonna have a hard time filling it up sideways. I get all excited that you've got pictures....and you put them in crooked. For God's sakes man. I'm a simple man, I need simple things...crooked pictures ain't one of 'em.:D

Rookies.:mrgreen:

Looks good. Scuff that scrubber screen up some more. it's too smooth. When you're done scuffing it, it should look like it's growing little white hairs. Nice build.

Yeah i replied to the other scrubber thread but im scuffin it up more now. Should be up and running today later on, ill post more pics!

So i waited till today to fill up my tank because ill be outta town this weekend and i need to clean the scrubber a week from when i fill up the tank.. I have a question, i have on my powerhead, should i leave it off till everything is settled or keep it on??

0802001411.jpg

Okay so i just put 8lbs live rock in the tank to start my cycle... When i turned on the pump it started out quiet but then 2 minutes later it was making a horribly loud annoying sound so i looked at the pump and put it back in the tank, now its running fine but it doesnt seem to be pushing as much water as it did when i first started it so I hope that doesn't stop my scrubber from working to its full potential... Im kind of nervous but only time will tell. :?

You can raise it slowly if you want by using salt water for top off water instead of fresh, otherwise you kinda have to guess a bit. Start with say 1/4 cup let it settle for a bit and test.

Back