Violet turf

Joeysmissy

Reefing newb
I got this live rock from my friend at the LFS..it has some deep red almost violet color turf on it..it feels furry..anyone know what it is?

861b2cf3.jpg

Its not slimy at all...just furry..and it is getting moderate flow..not too close to the powerheads..is this stuff good or bad? should i add more flow to it?

Depends on how you look at it.It normally thrives in low nutrient systems with a lot of flow.
A little bit's not bad.But it can get out of hand just like any other algae.

well i don't want it to be a nuisance..can i scrape it off the live rock and put it back in? or maybe boil it off? bleach? anything?

When you do your next water change,just pull that rock out of the tank and scrub it in the bucket with the old saltwater.Dont scrub it in the tank.

I have that stuff on all my rocks. And my tank is low nutrient and high flow. It is VERY hard to remove. But my tang eats it, oddly enough. The downside to it is that corals will not grow on it.

so urchins will eat it but also eat my coralline algae? and tangs eat it but get too big to keep? is there another way to get rid of it and not my coralline algae?

Back