vodka reduces nitrates???

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
ive read a few people actually do this with great results.
i also came across another article that basically debunked this "theory"
what do u guys think about dosing ur tank with vodka? how does this work exactly?
i also heard u can use sugar...?

be very very carful when dozing vodka , one slip up and you will crash your tank

atleast thats what ive heard, the sugar thing ive never heard

my nitrates have always been well managed and has never gotten very high.
i was just wondering.
how do u know how much to dose? also...what kind of vodka?

It honestly takes a lot of research. You need to start off slow and build up the amount over a period of time. You'd probably be better off running a reactor with bio pellets as they are made for the same purpose, just much less work involved.

I use "Reef Biofuel" by BRIGHTWELL AQUATICS, This product was designed to replace the "Vodka Method". It actually even says it on the bottle!!!

I have actually just started this 2 weeks ago. I also dose microbacter7 with the vodka.

I have only started, but you can tell the diff.

I started the first week dosing 3ml of vodka per day into my ~70gal system. Right away the water cleared up a bit. But I had already (before dosing vodka) had some cyano in my tank and dosing the vodka just helped it grow. so early last week I stopped dosing vodka and started only dosing macrobacter7 and I did a 3 day black out. today is the first day with my lights back on and the tank is VERY clean :) I will continue dosing the macrobacter7 for a bit and when I feel its ready (when I feel like the good bacteria I am dosing has had a chance to out compete the bad bacteria) I will start dosing vodka again to fuel their growth :)

The reason I took up this method is because I have had consistent problems in my tank since setup with algae and what not. I believe it is due to my crushed coral substrate and the amount of detris that gets collected in my system. I have always been 0 nitrates but that didnt keep the algae from growing! XP

Soon I will be upgrading to my 75g tank and replacing the crushed coral. Also will be running carbon (and GFO if needed) in my new BRS duel reactor. I will continue vodka/macrobacter7 dosing in my new system as well for I have seen some very successful tanks ran like this and want to give my shot at it.

The only problem I foresee long term is that your system actually becomes SO clean that I may have to start dosing amino acids to the tank to keep your corals healthy.

PS you have to have a very good skimmer rated 2-3 times your system size in order for this to work.

Essentially you are dosing "good" bacteria population and fueling their growth (with a carbon source: vodka, sugar, vinegar) and as they populate and eat up everything as they fatten up your skimmer pulls them out and along with them all that they had consumed, essentially pulling out lots of nitrates/phosphates from your system with them.

Here are a few of the articles that inspired me. And more specifically one reefer in particular who won Tank of the Month on Michigan Reefers and his 14 years experience in the hobby and was the best method he had found and stuck with it.

Michigan Reefer’s November 2009 Tank Of The Month Winner Sonny Harajly a.k.a (SunnyX)
Michigan Reefers November2009_TOTM

MicroBacter7/Vodka dosing guide
Microbacter7/Vodka Dosing Guide

And the 2 reference articles that were recommended by Sonny:
[SIZE=+1]
Vodka Dosing...Distilled!
[/SIZE]Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Gimme a Vodka, on the Live Rocks, with a Splash of Heavy Skimming.
Gimme a Vodka, on the Live Rocks, with a Splash of Heavy Skimming. (03/30/10) / Feature Articles - Quality Marine

I use "Reef Biofuel" by BRIGHTWELL AQUATICS, This product was designed to replace the "Vodka Method". It actually even says it on the bottle!!!

Hi, I know this thread is old but do you still use the Reef BioFuel...and do you put this directly in tank? TY

Back