walking zoanthids...

buddy08

SPS Addict
the other day i posted a link about one of my hermits killing a snail for its shell... he proudly wore this shell for a few days before he discovered on of my zoa frags....which happened to be an empty hermit shell containing whammin watermelons. He is now wearing this and walking around the tank. therefore, i have walking zoanthids. what should i do in this situation?

i know haha. would have had these on a frag rack but i had to acclimate them to the light first, they werent even in the tank 48 hours before it became a fad

take pictures of course!!!!

Just keep an eye on him until he drops the shell and then move it back. I dont think it will hurt the zoa

If it was me, I'd grab the tweezers and yank his little ass outta that shell. But, you can snatch him up, and place him with a larger empty shell in hopes that he wants to upgrade.

If it was me, I'd grab the tweezers and yank his little ass outta that shell. But, you can snatch him up, and place him with a larger empty shell in hopes that he wants to upgrade.
Actually if you hold the shell in your hand out of the water and hold still they will start to creep out looking for something to grab onto, if you offer them your finger they will grab on and if they cant move their shells, pull themselves out. Its a bit creepy the first couple of times but then you dont have to worry about hurting it.

here ya go, as requested... picture and video. The zoanthid polyps werent open because i fooled with the hermit, had to grab him from his hiding space between 2 rocks and sort of pissed the zoa's off.

IMG_0037.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xQY51UECU"]‪walking zoanthids!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

IMG_0040.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome. One of my blue legs is also in a over the top big shell that's he struggles to walk in, though he almost struts when he walks he thinks he's the absolute man walking around in that thing, like he's the envy of all the hermits lol yeah I would wait it out an offer him other shells hoping the zoos make it.

-Owen

Really dont see an issue with it lol. Ive thought about glueing zoa's to my turbos before just never got around to doing it.......giving me ideas again.....

Lulz. I'll do it tomorrow seeing as I have time and some loose zoa's in the mantis tank.....I'll get creative with it. Keep us up to date with yours too. I'd be iterested in growth being dragged around so much.

solution.

IMG_0132.jpg

Super glued him to a frag plug (rather large one at that) and put the other shell he came from infront of him. now hes forced to swap shells if he wants to roam around the tank. I know, im an asshole. ;)

Back