Wall Hammer coral, what is filter feeding?

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

I just saw in the store a coral named Green Wall Hammer Coral... I have asked them if they need food or not, and they said that i should buy a bottle of Filter Feeder and doze once a week.

Since i know this forum i want to ask your knowledge first.

What is a filter feeder, and should i get one for corals?
Also, doe's all the corals eat the same food?

Thanks.

a wall hammer is a lps coral and will benfit from feeding it larger things like krill not food for filter feeders. most all corals just need light to be happy. as long as you have enough light for the corals to live thats all they need.

Filter feeders eat food that looks like a cloud to the human eye when dosed. They pick out tiny bits of food from the water column that we don't normally see. Things like Oyster Feast or Roti Feast are great filter foods.

As far as krill... I don't think they're the same as mysis. I'd have to Google that one. ;)

no you dont need to feed it you can but do not need to. i assuming that he is trying to sell you food like marine snow or something like that it is for things that filter the water for food like clams feather dusters. sps coral. a hammer is a coral that just needs light to live the color is from a algae not even gonna try to spell the name of it. but the algae lives in the tissue of the coral and supplies the coral with food. that is why corals need lots of light. they do benefit from feeding once a week but do not need it. and a hammer will benefit from krill or mysis. all the filter feeder food is going to do is pollute the tank faster unless you have things that are filter feeders.

Bad advice. They are not filter feeders. Sounds like he was trying to make a buck. They will eat meaty foods like krill or mysis.

OK, so i will keep in mind to treat him with a Mysis once a week... And that's all.
My lights are great, it's a LED lighting for reef. (15 10,000K and 3 460nm Actinic)

So, i think I'm good to start insert corals to my 10 gallon nano reef.. :Cheers:

Thanks for saving me to give my bucks away for nothing.

Back