WannaRace 30-2-75 Gallon Upgrade!

WannaRace

Reefing newb
:D

Hi everyone!

Well, so much time has passed since I've posted but lo and behold I am back with a ring on my finger and a new home to myself and new wife! You all know what that means, right??? YUP! An upgrade was in the works since moving out on my own.

A little background on my saltwater hobby: I started out with a 10 gallon tank and quickly upgraded to a 30 gallon. Here is a FTS of my 30 gallon tank before tearing it down...

get-attachment-12aspx.jpg

So, since moving into a BRAND new home, I had to have a BRAND new tank. So, I went out and purchased a 75 gallon Aqueon drilled tank with overflow, stand, and canopy...

get-attachment-11aspx.jpg

Then, I ordered the Aquatic Life 6-bulb T5 unit with built in timer and set er on top! Bright!

get-attachment-5aspx.jpg

My buddy broke down his 220 and gave me a steal of a deal on all of his equipment. 160 lbs. of live rock, live sand, ATB Skimmer, 30 gallon sump, chaeto, 2 Koralia powerheads, heater, timers, pirahna glass cleaner, etc. all for $600.00!!! So I plumbed the tank, filled it up, threw the sand in, and added the rocks. So happy with my aquascaping!

get-attachment-10aspx.jpg

Congrats on the upgrade! It's hard to tell the aquascaping, you'll have to post more pics when everything settles.

Here it is clearing up quite a bit:

get-attachment-4aspx.jpg

After the tank cycled, I started adding my corals from my 30 gallon tank back into my new 75 gallon display.

get-attachment-9aspx.jpg

Then, I added my 4 year old pair of clownfish, who are doing just fantastic! And I also went out and purchased a tiny little tank raised beauty of a blue tang! I know she looks bigger than you think... lol

get-attachment-3aspx.jpg

Thank you! It allows me some flexibility as far as room goes for high light/high flow corals. I love SPS and my buddy gave me 5 pieces in that whole package deal so I can keep them up top.

Congratulations on the new life, and also the new tank...it's good to hear how everything is going great, and your tank looks fantastic. Great job and keep up the good work.

Thanks everybody! I'll be updating with more corals soon, hopefully SPS pieces but we will see...

Meanwhile, I'm going to be doing a 10 gallon water change tomorrow and I plan on vacuuming the bottom of my bare sump because there is a thick layer of brown sediment that looks like sand. Anyone have this problem? It is most likely detritus off my rocks from my old 30 gallon that has accumulated junk over the course of 4 years. Advice?

These are some photos of my sump. What does everyone think? I get a lot of detritus building up on the floor of the bare bottom sump. I've got a cyano problem on the sandbed in the display now. Is that possibly the cause?

get-attachment-15aspx.jpg

get-attachment-14aspx.jpg

get-attachment-13aspx.jpg

Back