WannaRace 30-2-75 Gallon Upgrade!

It's hard to see how the baffles are setup in your pics but, it doesn't look like you have water flowing over any of the baffles in your sump.

Actually, not even one because there are open slots on the bottom of the first baffle so the entire thing just flows along the bottom

Thank you. I'm looking to start building a remote algae scrubber housed in the sump fed by a separate pump. Hopefully my idea works in reality :-)

Actually, not even one because there are open slots on the bottom of the first baffle so the entire thing just flows along the bottom

That's most likely why then, the water should've flowing over the baffles in the first and second chambers. Those baffles are what keep the water level constant there.

I guess I have to deal with this set up then. Like I said earlier, my buddy gave me the sump and all it's contents from his old 120 gallon. He set mine up so I suppose this is the way it's going to run. I top off everyday so although high maintenance, it's getting taken care of :-) If the scrubber works out for me then I can ditch the skimmer altogether.

Wait, so is your sump running or not running? If it's running, how is the water going through the sump? Are there cutouts in the baffles we can't see?

Wait, does water flow under that first divider?

I'm thinking there's a bubble trap on the first divider, that we can't see, which essentially makes the sump just one giant chamber. If that's the case then you'll have evaporation in all three chambers at the same rate, OR, you don't have the skimmer and returns in their right places.

And are there three chambers or four? I'm also thinking the sump can be backwards. Can you draw us a diagram? Might be an easy fix. :mrgreen:

There are 4 chambers

Skimmer. Live rock. Rubble + chaeto. Return.

First two baffles are tall with open bottoms, flow goes thru bottom. Third baffle is short, flow goes over, but it also has slits at the bottom to allow flow thru bottom and a tall baffle right next to it which also has open bottom. Hope this makes sense otherwise I will snap pics when I get a chance.

Just updating the progress of my 75 gallon. Thanks to my scrubber and this:

photo-22.jpg

I have achieved this. Please note that all growth has been done in 11 months without the use of a skimmer nor water changes.

photo-25.jpg

Just an update...Not too much has changed, a little more growth here and there. Moved some things around. I think it's more pleasing to the eye now :) Except that face in the reflection LOL

photo-38.png

WR
PM me a list of your 75 gal tank system equipment, please.
IE: reactors, fuge, sump... and so forth.

Back