Want a new tank? 145 gal system build, I need help!!

Weld on is in the mail :) so as i start thinking about the doors i am running into a problem... I don't know what im doing... haha if i had a miter saw it would be simple but i dont have anything more than a circular saw and a palm sander. does anyone have any advice or ideas to make this easier?

i have another question about plumbing.. I was lucky enough that the stand allows for me to build the plumbing into the stand i just have to use a hole saw and cut holes through the top but im not sure how big to make the hole.. I think i want to move 2000 GPH through the sump, does one inch PVC allow for that or do i need to go bigger?

I don't think you will be able to get 2000 gph through the sump -- if I remember correctly (and I could be very wrong), the max amount that a 1" diameter overflow can handle is something like 650 gph per hour?

The flow through your sump doesn't need to be super fast. You will still need powerheads in your display to create flow.

ok, i have 3.5 inches to play with back there so i can go up to that, what about 2'' PVC?? is 2000 GPH reasonable for a 90 gal display with 55 gal sump? I am planning on getting a single vortech to move the water in the display. I believe one of the issues i had in the past was that i couldn't get enough water out of the display into my sump. also i would like to have room to upgrade without buying all new equipment. these are the reasons i chose that flow. can extra flow through the sump hurt?

so is the one of the reasons we use sumps to let all the small particals settle so they can be easily removed?

The two main reasons for using sumps are to add water volume to your tank (for stability) and to give a place to hide equipment like heaters, filtration, etc. so your display isn't cluttered with them.

based on that info i found this overflow
CPR CS Overflow Boxes
and this return pump
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Water Pump
as far as i can tell this is good stuff at a decent price.
does anyone know from experience? is it quiet and reliable? reasonable price?

I'm currently using the CPR and I wouldn't recommend it. I'd rather be using the lifereef overflow, It doesn't need an extra pump and won't lose siphon if the power goes out.

The small particles settling is an added bonus, though. It's easy to suck them out with a powerhead connected to some tubing during water changes.

The two main reasons for using sumps are to add water volume to your tank (for stability) and to give a place to hide equipment like heaters, filtration, etc. so your display isn't cluttered with them.

I'm currently using the CPR and I wouldn't recommend it. I'd rather be using the lifereef overflow, It doesn't need an extra pump and won't lose siphon if the power goes out.

if the power goes out and the return pump cuts off don't i want the siphon to break so i don't have a soggy home?
Should i be trying to get closer to the 450-500 GPH ?

Thank you so much for your help!!! I swear you two are saving whats left of my sanity... Hopefully i will have a nice enough tank one day that my pictures can repay the favor! :-)

if the power goes out and the return pump cuts off don't i want the siphon to break so i don't have a soggy home?
Should i be trying to get closer to the 450-500 GPH ?

The siphon will stop -- but you want it to be able to re-start on its own when the power comes back on.

hold on a sec, sorry i feel really stupid cause this doesn't make sense to me.... how much water do i accually want going through my sump??

you want to shoot for around 10 times your tank size per hour.. always better to go with a little bigger pump with a check valve put in to adjust flow rate.. there will be some slow down as the water returns due to height it is pumping back, and elbows, etc..

Back