want bigger tank but same lights

newbeemike

Reefing newb
I currently have a 75 gallon tank with 2x250 watt MH lights. Light were recently lifted off the tank and are hanging between 17 and 18 inches above water level (thanks bitterwine for the advice, doing better). I was thinking about getting a bigger, longer tank. My tank and lights are 48inches. Can I put a wider tank under those lights. They are pretty bright. Can I put a 60 inch(125gallon)? I was thinking 72 inch might be pushing it ?(I can dream).

You can put those lights over a longer tank, but you would be limited to keeping low light corals on the ends where there is less light. I've got a 6-foot fixture over my 7-foot tank, so the last foot on either side gets a lot less light than the center. That's where I've always put mushrooms, zoanthids and softies, which don't need a lot of light.

OPPS Bifferwine, my bad. So you would say a 60 is ok. and a 72 would be pushing it?
You can put those lights over a longer tank, but you would be limited to keeping low light corals on the ends where there is less light. I've got a 6-foot fixture over my 7-foot tank, so the last foot on either side gets a lot less light than the center. That's where I've always put mushrooms, zoanthids and softies, which don't need a lot of light.

Hey Bifferwine. Not only did I get the name wrong, but I always assumed you were the guy in the picture.LOL:D Just saw ur note. "I am the girl.

If you have a 48" light, I would not go more than 60" tank, but you could go with a 120 (48x24x24), 150 tall(48x24x30) 120 long(60x18x26) for starters......always liked the 120......

Think I will go with the 120. Until that is not enough and I have to go bigger and upgrade the lights. My wife is going to kill me. hahaha
If you have a 48" light, I would not go more than 60" tank, but you could go with a 120 (48x24x24), 150 tall(48x24x30) 120 long(60x18x26) for starters......always liked the 120......

You can go with whatever size you like,even a 72'' long tank.Keep the corals directly under the lights.You can keep low light corals(mushrooms) and non-photosynthetic corals(suns,dendros) on the ends.

Hey Bifferwine. Not only did I get the name wrong, but I always assumed you were the guy in the picture.LOL:D Just saw ur note. "I am the girl.

Yes. There came a point when I realized it was necessary to point out my gender to everyone who kept referring to me as "him". ;)

Back