Want Larger tank.. sooner or later

charlesp123

charlesp123
So I am about 2 months into reefing and enjoying it much more than I ever expected. I purchased a 30 gallon breeder tank, which i do really like. Like many I want a much bigger tank. The question I have is for those who have been in the same situation, did you wish that you had not waited to switch to a larger tank and have it become established? or was it better to wait as it is a hassle to transfer to a new tank?

Also, the bigger the tank, the less likely water fluctuations will cause any damage. The larger water volume comes in handy! Only problem with going bigger... is the cost! Bigger = More $. But, like Mario said, imho it is DEFINITELY worth it :)

When I started a reef aquarium (mid 90's) I wanted to start small because I did not want to invest a lot of money into something that I knew very little about.
I have been keeping freshwater tanks since the 80's, but saltwater/reef is a whole different beast.

So I started with a 30 gallon. As I learned more and more, I wanted more and more.
And so goes the continual upsize through the years to my current 100 gallon.
If I had the space and owned a home instead of renting I would have gone as big as a 300 by now.

But my point is, at least for me personally, it would have been unwise for me to go straight to a 300gallon my first time around. At the time I did not know if I would love the lifestyle or end up hating it.

If you are determined to upsize though, don't go for a small increment. That will only make you want to upsize sooner again.
Go for the biggest one you can afford, and that you are technically capable of maintaining. This way you can enjoy it for many years without yearning for another upsize.

Here's a hint: If you start complaining that you got too big of a tank and that maintenance is a pain. Then you have just the right size tank for you :).
Anything bigger and you would not even want to maintain the tank anymore.

I recently updated from a 29 tall to a 100. I think I got the right size for me because i can devote an hour a week to water changes and 10 -20 minutes a day for any other issues. Any bigger would of broken the bank and take too much time to maintain. But, I bet you as soon as $$$$ permits, I'll go for a 250 to 300 in a heartbeat!!

Bigger is always better, but, I'd say, take your time, enjoy your 30 gallon, learn from it and save up! The more you wait and save and research, the better slow and thoughtful start you can get with your upgrade. It is shocking how much you'll have to buy. I went from a 14 gallon to my 60 and dumped $225 for a skimmer, $200 for lights (cheap!! you'll probably spend more) more rock, maybe $100-$150, $50 for a bigger heater, $90 for powerheads. You get the idea. Then you have to fill the darn thing too!

Back