Want to learn

roxychic

Reefing newb
Hi, I am working on my second salt water aquarium. My first had a lot of fish die, I know it is because I would push my luck and put the wrong variety of fish for my small tank. Well that tank is gone in a break up - he took the tank :grumble: but I missed it so much.

So now I start again. I have an unusual set up. A guy that has beautiful aquariums makes these neat nettings for the bottom of the tank. His aquariums are all beautiful and very low maintenance. Anyway, he set up this tank and it has run beautifully for about six months. It cycled fairly quickly, probably one month. I knew I was moving to Oregon from California so I did not buy expensive fish. Just damsels and snails. Now that I am in OR, I took the saltwater and live rock from that tank with me. :D It did it's cycling period, with a damsel and a clown fish and a very boring goby as he never comes out, the water quality seems good, so little by little I have been adding fish. Yesterday, I went a bit crazy and bought a foxface ?, a red scooter, a fire shrimp and some snails. I knew it was a lot at once. This morning I thought I lost the shrimp but he was just shedding his exoskeleton. Thank goodness as he cost me $30. So everyone is alive. I am going to come back to edit this post to be more exact with names. (I am on disability for rheumatoid arthritis and the drugs have ruined my short term memory :grumble: ) So this will work for an introduction but I look forward to learning from all of you. The tank still has a lot of red algae on the walls but between three snails, one large shrimp and a hermit crab, I am leaving it alone. What do you think?

PS I also bought a 56 gallon bowed front tank. It has freshwater fish in it from previous owner but eventually I plan on turning it into a saltwater. My goal is to have three saltwater, one of them reef and one freshwater as I am liking the fish I inherited.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. sounds like an ambitious project with three systems planned. best of luck. post any questions in the general forums and if you get bored, check out our helpful articles forum/saltwater articles. again welcome to the site.

Back