Want to see how much rock you get for $96 in Alaska?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
Live rock is $10lb here. I didn't think it was that heavy, so when he told me the price I was like :shock:. Can't complain since I forked it over,it's my first live rock and I couldn't wait to get something in my cycling tank.

I think from now on, I'll get my rock online though. 45 lbs of fiji premium select shipped from live aquaria is only $5.10 a lb, though you don't get to cherry pick it.

This rock is about 8 x 9 x 7 inches.
first-live-rock.jpg

Anyway, I don't want to diminish the quality of this store, it's an *awesome* LFS, the guy knows his stuff for sure. It's just unfortunate we get raked on the rock, every place in town charges $10 a lb.

Last edited:
Not very much life on the rock.I dont know that I would paid 10 bucks a pound for it.
But congratulations on have something in your tank:D

Yeah, there isn't a living thing on it. I'm kinda partial to it though, being my first rock and all, but I'll never do that again.

A 5g bucket of Reef Crystals (160gallon bucket) is $110. :frustrat:

$100....just for a rock, with nothing alive on it...and over $100 for salt....my friend, you need to become very familiar with online stores. You'll thank yourself later down the road.:D

You need to also take into consideration the shipping to Alaska. Where is the rock from that will play a part in it as well, it looks like a big poris rock great for biological filtration. Most of the fiji peices are bouldery not very characteristic.

You may be spending a bit more at your LFS to get hands on and see what you are getting, plus they will be there to help you in your time of need.

I like your rock, I would pay for good quality live rock. As far as not seeing any life on it, it looks to have great corralline growth (thats life) and who knows what might pop out later.

start buying your rock from the gulf... even with shipping cost to alaska you'll get way better rock for noticeably less.

That's the funny thing about it. Live rock is the cheapest thing I can get online. Even with shipping included, even the most expensive live rock on liveaquaria is far less expensive than what it is in town, for much better quality.

However, shipping for any livestock is $54.98 (overnight + ak fee). A $25 cleaner shrimp becomes $80 if purchased online, but in town they're still $25.

That same $110 bucket of reef crystals through Dr. Fosters becomes $150 with 'standard' shipping. 2 Day Air is $218. I know Dr.Fosters and Liveaquaria aren't the only places online to buy from, but smaller places typically won't ship to AK, and may cost much more.

Either way, we're kinda stuck. Livestock up here is reasonable, as is normal things like hydrometers and air pumps. But when it comes to 'odd' items, they're typically double in cost. One of the LFS' has a 800gph CPR overflow for example, and they want $240.

Anyway it's all a game. The only downside between shopping in town and shopping online, is that sometimes you'll see something at the store that's seemingly expensive, and you'll go home to check shipped online prices. When it turns out that the LFS is actually reasonable, you'll go back only to find out that somebody else has nabbed the item you wanted, and the store won't have any more for a couple of weeks. :mrgreen:

Back