Want to start a fragment and coral growing tank

Kwater

Chill
I am going to come soon a 60 gallon tank and I was wondering if I could turn it into a fragment tank so I van sell some corals for money. I just had 2 questins first I know nothing about fragmenting and growing corals. If u know anything I would love to know. Also put aside the ENORMOUS ALGIE problems but what would happen if I used martial sunlight. I figure that there is no light that can even come close to that of the most martial form. And also it dosent matter if the tank looks good of not as long as the corals are growing and happy

I think you'd be better off using something like a 20 long or even a 30gal over that 60.
Its going to cost you about as much to set up a frag tank,as it would to setup a new reef tank.
And the thing about natural sunlight,the glass from the tank and window its close too,will change the spectrium of the light some,plus will cause some heat issues.Kinda like burning leaves with a magnifing glass.

Yeah, natural sunlight is usually not adviseable. It may be hard for you to start a frag tank to make money off of if you don't have a lot of experience with corals. It takes most of us years before we actually consider ourselves "good" at keeping those things alive. A good place to start would probably be zoanthids and ricordeas. Both of those types of corals are very easy to keep and spread quickly. Ricordeas sell for at least $10 a polyp, and depending on what kind of zoanthids you grow, they can fetch much higher prices. What I mean is, you can spend $30 on an expensive, rare zoanthid polyp, and within a couple months you'll probably have several dozen.

Any other corals (SPS) that will earn you cash would probably be very challenging for you to keep if you are new to the hobby or inexperienced with corals.

if you are going to sell frags, you have an obligation to be able to educate your potential buyers so that they are not buying something that they cannot keep. You must first be educated before you can educate others. Do some research, make some successful frags and know the general details of the hobby, then try to sell frags.

kwater, I personally put my frag tank next to a window to reap the benefits of supplemental natural sunlight! Yours might not really need it though, if all you're starting out with is lower light requiring softies, etc. Just be ready for loads of coralline if its near a window.
Also, I vote for a 20g long instead of a 60g. Get yourself a good skimmer, a couple K2 powerheads and some T5's for lighting and you'd be set!

Back