Wanting LEDS only !!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Anyways i have posted on the other thread but no answer so im starting a new thread, Anyways have a PC fixture with 4 34 inch 96w light bulbs in it, 2 actinic and 2 10k white, i also have 2 36 inch true lumen LED strips one on each side. i was wondering can i just get rid of the PC lights and just add 2 more True lumen strips on each side ???? I was thinking of getting one 10k white strip for each side and another actinic , witch is what i have already.

So i would have 2 Actinic and one 10k white on eatch side, would this be plenty light to grow SPS, LPS leather and would be good for my clams ??

My thinking is that it wouldnt be enough, however i have not ever used those lights so i have no idea. Your tanks really big though and it just seems like thats not enough.

Yeah im just not 100% ither, Hu maybe i should just bite the bullet get some MH lights and a freken Chiller. Even do this would be crazy expensive on my electricity bill.

There are no specs on the current website for these LED strips (which is surprising) other than the spectrum of hte light output. Going on the fact that they're using 4 LED's on a 10 inch strip without optics, I'd guess they wont be enough light more much more than soft corals, and even those are iffy from what I can tell from the website

Hanging LED's over a 6 foot tank is going to be pricey if you want to do it right especially with an off the shelf solution, even an DIY kit will run you $300 just for the LED's, you'd still need heat sinks and drivers.

For off the shelf solutions, look at AquaIllumination, Maxspect, EcoTech Marine, or Ecoxotic, for DIY kits and information, check out RapidLED

They get hot, but they come with built in fans, and if you use a clip-on fan that blows across the surface of your water, you can usually control the temperature just fine without a chiller. It's pretty difficult to heat up a huge tank of water just from a light hanging above it, even if the light is hot.

I ran halides over my 180 before switching to LEDs without issues, it raised the temp of my tank by about a degree or so, no big deal

That would not be enough for your whole system as you often need some more lighting, so you better go for a higher LED light which could perfectly suits the arrangement. LED would not risk you so much as it emits less compared to all other lights.

Back