wanting light help!

Barry Dickinson

Reefing newb
Hello! This is my first time posting here, hope I dont sound or seem to terrible! I am setting up a 75 gallon mixed reef/fish aquarium and I was hoping someone could tell me if this light would be good enough for anything I could want:
48 inch black solar T5 HO - 8x54 WATT + Moonlight.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I really can't comment on the T5's because I run LED's. When I started my tank 9 months ago I looked at the cost of T5's, MH, and LED's. The LED's have come down in price and provide full spectrum. I chose LED's because long term the LED's will save energy, less heat in tank, and no re-occurring bulb replacements. Something like the Reefbreeders.com Photon Series or the Value Fixtures.

If you decide to go with the T5s, a 6x54 fixture with individual reflectors will be more then enough for you to keep anything in your tank.

i run 4x54w t5 ho in my tank and i have no problems with anything so far but i dont have any sps corals in my tank. but if you have the money go with leds i think you get more color pop out of your corals

t5s are cheaper to start but keep in mind you have to replace you bulbs every 9-18 months most people go with 12 months if you have 6 bulbs each bulb ranges from 19 bux to 24 bux we will just say 20 bux per bulb so that 120 every year + the cost of the light to start

There's nothing wrong with upgrading later on down the road when you want or feel more experienced to make a more informed decision. You may find that you like your T5s and not want to switch later. I'm using an MH/T5 combo fixture and have no plans to upgrade mine anytime soon.

Fish don't care, you could have a workshop light over the tank and they wouldn't notice. Corals and anemones however require the specialized lighting to live and grow. As long as you have enough light the type (T5, LED, or MH) doesn't matter.

Back