warm return pump

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
so I am sure now that I am not going to be able to use my pump i was using for my pond. It just runs too hot... Does anyone have any resources or personal examples of return pumps. I have a 150 gallon tank and am not sure how much water turnover I should have.

:bowdown::bounce:

In general, you want about 5-10x the tanks volume to flow thru the sump per hour. So for a 150g system, your looking at around 750-1500 gph....as long as your overflow(s) can handle it. I use an external GenX PCX 40 (1200 gph) on my system.

As an example, a predrilled ReefReady 75g or 90g tank has 1 1" overflow which does aprox 600 gph and a predrilled ReefReady 125 has 2 1" overflows for a total of 1200 gph.

I have a 150 gal tank with a overflow rated at 1500gph. My return pump is a Pan World 100 px-x that has a max flow of 1270 gph. I a valve on the outlet side of the pump and I rarely run the pump wide open. I tend to like to close the valve a bit and back the pump down some.

Is your tank a reef-ready tank (pre-drilled)?

Well my tank is not drilled. I am not even sure to this point that it is not tempered but it is an all glass brand aquarium and from what I am reading they never use tempered glass except on the bottom panel. Can anyone confirm or deny this? My pump is obviously malfunctioning because in a five gallon bucket after about four hours of running the rock to cure my garf I made the water was at least 110-120 degrees...thats nuts :shock:
:bowdown::bounce:

Are you sure it's an AGA brand tank? I thought Perfecto was the only manufacturer making the 4ft 150 gal tank. If it's the Perfecto then none of the panels are tempered

Back