Warning about Bulk Reef Supply

sps

Reefing newb
Hey guys, just wanted to give a heads up on a pretty serious issue that I am dealing with from BRS. I purchased a BRS 6 stage R/O D/I from a local supplier. After a month of waiting it finally came in.
When setting it up I noticed that the inline water supply that is included will not fit the typical household shutoff valve. The fitting they supply is way too small. Pretty significant when trying to plumb this system. I was forced to use the 1/4 line bib. I dont like that at all because more chance for leaks and it creates pressure and less flow.
My TDS coming out of the water supply is roughly 211. Not bad. Out of the R/O on the first day was 22 and D/I was 0. Kind of high for it to be coming out like that. That night it climbed to 27. I thought, uh oh something not right. I checked it again Sunday morning and it was 34. Wow, something is definately wrong here. Sunday night it climbed to 59. I made the mistake of calling them for help.
Here is my MAIN ISSUE!!! I contacted BRS for some help and that is where things got bad. I mentioned that my float valve was 90 percent submerged and they told me that was normal. GGGRRRR!!!!! Then i mentioned about the TDS. They blamed my water pressure. Nope, its 59 - 63 psi. Perfect. They tried to blame my water temp. Ummmm.... Im in California, water temp here is above U.S. norm. Then they said that the TDS was finme being that high. I told them that at this rate, I would have to change D/I filters monthly. They told me sometimes that is normal. What The?????? I told them that I would be better off buying my water locally and the clown told me that most lfs wont have D/I. What does that have to do with my situation man?
I called again just a few minutes ago and was told that they will NOT deal with the end user.
Also, their website will direct you to the manufacturer if you have issues. That is just bad CS if you ask me. These guys are not what I expected from the reviews I have read. I have a 300 gallon system that is largely dependant on the water I use. This is unacceptable in my book.
Anyone else have an issue with them like this? Oh, and I left a negative review on their site and it has yet to be posted. Still up for "moderation". Hmmm... what does that tell me?

Hmmm, i'm surprised. I've had good CS with them in the past.

But for RO/DI I always recommend The Filter Guys.
FANTASTIC customer service.

And thats what I have always heard. But they did not want to give me the time of day. I was extremely polite to them until I got the cold shoulder.
And the filter guys are who helped answer some questions for me. They seem pretty helpful and my lesson is learned.

Last edited:
Odd, BRS is one of the best vendors I have delt with.

I bought the 5 stage Plus unit, installed in about 15 minutes and have had no issues with it what so ever.

Same here. I have always dealt with courteous people through BRS. But then again, I have always ordered directly from them and not through a LFS. Maybe that is the difference?

I have dealt with BRS customer service and got great response. Bought a RO/DI unit from them and it had a broken elbow connection, emailed them the problem and they sent out the part Next Day Air at No Charge. My unit works great.

ive never had any issues with them,and actualy if the water is to warmcomming out of the tap it can ruin your ro filter,so that may be part of the problem

ive never had any issues with them,and actualy if the water is to warmcomming out of the tap it can ruin your ro filter,so that may be part of the problem

Feedwater temperatures above 113F void the warranty on Filmtec membranes. 113F is HOT! I've never seen water from a cold water line at temperatures anywhere near that...

Warmer feedwater temperatures will lower the membrane rejection rate, but not to the extent we're talking about here.

My guess is that the membrane isn't fully seated. That's the place I recommended the original poster start.

Russ

Sorry you are having issues with BRS, but I have talked to them a number of times and they have always been top notch. I'd try calling them again and see what happens. Everyone one I know has bought the 4 or 5 stage unit and been happy.

yeah, this is so weird to hear of. I love BRS, I had a backorder and dealt with customer service and they were beyond helpful and polite. I've ordered from them at least 3 times and every experience has been awesome. So sorry to hear you are having problems.

Well it's getting worse for me. I can't get the vendor to call them or to answer my phone call. BRS won't solve my problem either.
They straight out refuse.

Sounds like Buckeye Field Supply is trying to help you troubleshoot, which is very nice of him. I'd take the help you are being offered. :)

I did take the help. Russ walked me through the trouble shooting steps but it didn't solve the issue. Something is defective in the system.

Just wondering if you were going to get a RO unit and it was a BRS one why did't ypu buy from the source instead of a 3rd party?

Back