Warning on LFS

Pilchergate

Reefing newb
Hi Guys,I thought I,d found the perfect fish store,WRONG.I happened to need some live food,so,after work the other night I jumped in the car and went down to my LFS which in the past had been very helpful to me,except I always ended up spending more money than I wanted to!!Anyway it was nearly closing time so I got my food,paid for it and decided to have a look at what they had in their tanks.I noticed a lot of boxes,they had just had a delivery of fish,to my horror they were putting them straight into the tanks for selling.no quarantine or anything :shock: Anyway couple of days later my curiosity got the better of me and I went back with my husband,he wanted to treat me to a new fish.We walked in and in the first tank were all dead fish except for 2 pecular clowns,I watched as they actually sold those fish to a customer.I will not be using that store again.If you don,t see quarantine tanks,ASK if they dont have them,DONT BUY THEIR FISH.

i've seen that to. when i asked about it one store said they keep their salt levels low like 120 and below to kill off any parasites ect. the other lsf said they put copper in all there tank instead of quarentine, maybe i'm in a bad area but i don't think any lfs in my area quarintine.

I have seen a lot of that to .The LFS just do not see the fish as we do .A lot of the people that work at the LFS are not trained on how to handle fish .I will not take a fish that is netted.I just tell them if they net the fish I do not want it .Netting a fish damages the slime coat.I think that is like us humans getting a REAL bad sunburn.The fish is all ready stressed after shipping.O and do not buy a fish on the first few days of arrival at the LFS .I ask how long the fish has been there ,and it is good to ask if they will feed the fish so u can see it eat.If the fish store will not do these things I just say "Thank U" and leave .

thats how my stor is.

BUT, today I found one thats only open 3 days a week.... Its super small, but this guy knows his stuff. He has reef tanks for each kind, lps, sps etc. He also gets his fish when they are tiny. And raises them hiself, and wont even sell them until hes had them for at least 2-3 months.

He had 15 baby blue tangs in his acro tank yesterday... They were about half inch long.

Small Store

wow, my kind of store. too bad we all cant find one that does it right. kind of makes your mouth water though. so patients really a must with the small store. there you will know what you are getting and well worth a little more cost too.

actually.. His fish prices are far less than the pet store. blue tangs for $20.... says it all lol. The only thing I dont like is he tries to sell you everything lol. But i can look past that for his information. They are making a custom coral tank now for outside year round in greenhouse. with no lighting other than some in the winter months for the harder corals. I may also have him build my tank!

dang i just bought a baby blue tang yesturday for 35 dollars and they also had a tank full of them it must be tang session.lol O the store i go to has about 35 q-tanks.find A STORE THAT CARES IF YOUR THERE CUSTOMER,also try to find a store thats mostly saltwater. :twocents:

/\ /\ i agree there. from what ive noticed, the shops that have mroe than just fish usually dont care about the fish.. Since most of their money comes from everything else. Ill be using this new guy from now on, unless i need like food or anything non threatening lol.

Back