Was given a Bak-Pak, your thoughts?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I was dead set on getting a Remora from my lfs today, but literally on the way there I got a phone call from a friend of mine's father. He had a barely used Bak-Pak that he wanted to give me. So I picked it up today.

It looks great, and I can say without a doubt it's barely been used.

My issue is that I have a small tank wall. Right now I have a Penguin 330 on the back, but with this also it just won't fit. So do I keep the skimmer and just drop the penguin? Or do I keep looking for a smaller footprint skimmer?

I have read some reviews on this skimmer and they seem pretty good. My tank is a 47g tall, it's about 2 ft across and not quite 3 ft tall. Setting it up as a reef tank.

I plan on using it for a quick fix. Something to get me by for a few months until I can get something better. If it'll work for awhile it's OK with me. If I need something better I can buy it now.

I hung it on the side of the tank with the penguin, going to have to get my glass cut for it to fit, but that's OK.

I took out all that floss crap, should I replace it with something else?

Also, there are a lot of bubbles in the tank, even when adjusting the inc air, they are still pretty bad? Is there something else I should be doing? Or is this why you say it's crap?

they do make a lot of bubbles it will make less as it breaks in but they just dont do a very good job at skimming. you dont need to put any thing in the empty chamber but if you put some rock rubble in it it will help to lesson the bubbles

they do make a lot of bubbles it will make less as it breaks in but they just dont do a very good job at skimming. you dont need to put any thing in the empty chamber but if you put some rock rubble in it it will help to lesson the bubbles

Thanks for the info. Do I just drop some rock in there? Or do I need to put anything down in before it goes in?

Also, how low should I drop the collection cup? Right now I have it so water is actually in the bottom of the tube coming up to the center of the cup, but this is my first skimmer and I have no real experience with it. I had read to run it wet for a day or two, and I'm assuming this is what they meant.

I have the air intake line completely open too(just read now to do that your first few days too).

ALSO: The pump on it right now is a Rio 600, should I replace it with a stronger pump? Say a Maxi 1200?

Last edited:
i run mine full air all the time and keep the cup high for a few days so it does not over flow. and yea just drop the rock on in be care full so you dont break the bottom

What about the pump? Do you think I should put something with a little more power in there?

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks so much for your help. There was one more thing. I have had my tank running now with live rock in it for the past week or so.

Should I expect to get much foam? Initially I saw a lot, but nothing went into the collection cup. Tomorrow I'm goign to add a wooden airstone to it, see if I can get something then.

Back