Watchman Goby question

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I've had a yellow watchman in my 10g tank for about 6 months, along with a purple firefish. When I first got it, it was very shy and wouldn't really come out to eat. I paired it with a candycane pistol shrimp about a week after I got it and that eased its shyness a bit and it has since been thriving in my tank, getting nice and fat. It was still on the shy side and would run for cover under a rock about half the time I would come up to feed the tank. There were also many times where it would go into hiding for a day or so before I'd see it again. Last friday I added a new blenny to the tank. I saw the watchman saturday morning but have not seen it since. The pistol shrimp has come out a few times for food but no sign of the watchman. The blenny does seem to be more aggressive than I anticipated but I'm not sure its aggressive enough to have killed the watchman. My guess is that the watchman is in serious hiding, and the pistol might be taking it food. How long can a fat yellow watchman stay in hiding before starving to death?

Loooong time. I had a skittish watchman that I swear I saw 3 times in 8 months. It was beyond annoying! Then I bought the chalk bass and I don't know why, if it was a dither fish thing or what, but, the watchman moved his cave to the front and he's out now all the time. Won't even budge out of fear when my daughter and I press our noses against the glass. I think the watchman will adjust to the new addition and will gradually come out again. But, somehow they survive even if you don't see them.

I had an orange spotted watchmen in my last 75G tank that I saw 5 times in a 4 month period, I love those fish but man they don't like to come out

when I took the tank down he was FAT so I guess he was finding food somehow

Good news: he made an appearance tonight and stayed out for a bit! All is well in the home tanks :)

And my cat would looove it if she could chase the fish around - I've had to resort to putting a chair a few feet away so she can sit on it to watch them, otherwise she just smacks the glass trying to catch them and it scares the beejeezus out of them!

Back