Water Change Container

ryangorney

Reefing newb
I am currently using an 18 gallon Rubbermade / Sterilite container that I bought at Home Depot to store my new water prior to a change. I let this water sit and get it to the right temperature prior to a change. I have been using this container for the past few months. I noticed however that it tends to grow a brown almost algae like film at the bottom. I clean it out with fresh water every few weeks to get rid of the film. For the first time, I let the container dry out completely and noticed a white film on the bottom (I assume it to be salt). I cleaned the container out again. My question is is this container safe? What do you all typically use to store your water.

+1 Bj.
I use a 32 gallon Brute trash can to mix my water in.But after every water change I clean it out with vinegar.

I have two 5 gallon plastic jugs with caps. One salt ready to go, and one just r/o water for top offs.

I'm sure it's still safe. Anytime you have water sitting in a container, you will start to get algae to grow. And having a white residue on the bottom is normal too. Leftover from the salt.

Its not unusual to get some white residue in a water change container. To prevent algae, I use a lid on it so it gets NO light.

I use 30 gallon trash cans with wheels and lids. I also have a water holding tank that you would purchase at a farm supply store. I haven't noticed any algae growing in either of my containers. But the white residue is from your salt which is normal.

I only clean my containers out maybe every 2 or 3 months.

If you keep a power head going in there it well help with the algae growth I keep mine mixed a month in advance sometimes and no algae problem. I also heat the water before adding the salt, this seems to help with the sediment problem.

Back