Water change during first cycle?

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, I have looked online and this forum but can't find a definitive answer. Some say change water even during the cycle and some say not to. :frustrat:

Questions is...should I do a water change on my water tank? It's only a week old and is in the process of cycling.

If I should then is the 10% ok?

Cheers

I wouldnt...and never have when setting up a tank. When the cycle is finished that when I start. When you do water changes 10% weekly is good or 20% bi weekly.

Thanks as always...

My lfs person just told me that the live rock he sold me was uncured...that wouldn't be a problem right? It will fix it self in a months time?

You will get a bigger cycle, no big deal. The main difference between cured and uncured is some die off. You will see a bigger ammonia spike. Here is a link for some info on curing it. Its not a big deal. Basically it will cure as the tank cycles. How to Cure Live Rock

It's been a week now and the ammonia is still 0...can't wait for the cycle to start..I even added the table shrimp for 1-2 days....

I read that you have been in the cycle process for a week. You could have missed a small ammonia and nitrite spike. Now it seems you have nitrates. Did you have any live rock in the tank or was it all uncured rock?

Well I bhought the live rock from three places...altogether 25 lbs and 20 lb live sand and 20 lb regular sand. One place where I got 10 lbs from claimed tooday that it live but uncured...confusing...

I am thinking your cycle is already finished...You must have gotten some decent rock from the other places or the "uncured" rock really wasnt so "uncured" Either way I would do a water change and get some clean up crew.

Wow that was a super fast cycle! I will do a change of 10% and wait another week before adding a clean up crew...what do u think will be sufficient for a 30 gallon tank? Actual water is probably 25 gallon after the rock n sand displacement..

Well this is what it looks like after a week...still need to add a proper light but I ain't adding corals until 3 months down the road..

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMjAzLTAwMDQxLmpwZw.jpg

Sometime they just go fast, I agree take it slow. Are you seeing any diatoms or algae in the tanks at all?

Back