Water change question !!!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So finally my nitrates are barely detectable, maybe 2 to 4 ppm on API test and this is at the end of the week when i usually start making my water for the water change. Anyways i think im finally safe to go for the 2 week water changes. What do you guys think ??

My nitrates have actually gone down since my last water change.

Sunday i did a water change then on monday i took a reading, I was at maybe 6 to 7 ppm and now its friday and im defenetly under 5 ppm, usually the test tube starts changing color with in a minute or so and this time it did not change till like the 4th minute and only changed a bit. I thinki im finally safe to start doing my water changes every 2 weeks. So i think im going to pass on the change this sunday and just keep on eye on my readings. then ill do the change next Sunday.

What do you guys think ??

Water change has two primary functions.

1. The most critical one is for bio-waste export (nitrates, phosphates, etc).
2. The other function is to replenish the trace elements via the new salt mix.

For #2,
If you are dosing trace elements into the tank, or you do not have a lot of critters in the tank that use up the trace elements in between water changes, then 10%-20% every two weeks should be OK.

Yeah at the moment i dont have ro many corals. Just couple here and there and there pretty small. I can alwys does trace elements later when i get more coral. But for now i dont think its necesery. And i have actually ben doing 30 gl water changea thays about 25%. Every week but will hopefully now be doing it every two weeks. And from what i hear the salt i now use os real good on trace elements. Red sea coral pro. So i think i should be good. I hope

I got a bit lazy on my water changes because I never have any detectable nitrate, but my magnesium, calcium and alkalinity got a bit low. Never underestimate the power of weekly water changes :)

yea u can use supplements but u cant test for all trace elements in your tank. its best just to do your weekly water changes. i would say 10% a week or 20% every 2 weeks. but i feel like doing water changes on a weekly basis keeps things more stable and just takes less time overall.

If you do not have a lot of corals, then you probably do not even need to dose other than to keep the alkalinity stable.

I doubt that a handful of corals can deplete the calcium and other trace elements to dangerous levels in a 2 week period.

Yeah i think im going to try every 2so weeks and see how it goes. Iv wven heard of people going a month. But 2the weeks sounds good to me. If that doesnt work out i will do smaller% every week.

Back