Water change...

Ryan

Reefing newb
Just did a 20% water change with the RO water and Instant Ocean salt this time around. I heard that this salt seems to be the "name brand"? Fish seem to be doing fine. Feels good to get that done and out of the way. Anything I need to look for after water change? They just ate and seem happy.

As long as they are eating and swimming, they should be fine. When doing a water change, it's important to try and match the salinity, pH and temperature of the old water. If you're off by a little bit it's no biggie, but try to get as close as possible to avoid shocking your animals.

It's also a good idea to run a powerhead in the new saltwater a day before hand. I usally do water test the next day to be sure everything is fine.

A powerhead and an air pump is usually best.

Also, you can try doing your water changes right after an eating, right after cleaning your front/side glass, after cleaning up some rock.... Then just try and siphon out the most crap you can.

I like to siphon some of the crud out of the nooks and crannies in my rock when I do my water changes.
After you use that Instant Ocean up,Give Oceanic a try.

Back