water change

qxcontinuum

Reefing newb
Hi, my tank looks very ugly and hard to maintain. Also the sand worms bothers my corals a lot, so i have decided bare flow bottom.

Is the ph hard to control without sand or crushed corals?

Also my important question is; i took out all the rocks having grass on them. How can i remove this grass out and all the algae that stays on this rocks?

Please help

OMG what are you doing? The tank is in a cycle, you need to let it run its course....put the rock and sand back in, you've had this set up a month? Are you using r/o water? What type of filter? Sump? The hair algae will go away after the cycle ends, do a water change with r/o water. Put some algae in a sump and let it alone, check water.

i think you don't know what i have... there is a jungle on my live rocks, hair algae, marine grass, bubble algae, i bought these live rocks like this and they are out of control. Nothing will eat them, snails and urchins are avoiding it. The water is smelly.
I don't have a sump and i cannot have one.
I will boil these rocks and buy some new good ones.
Imust get rid of all this sh**** once for all in my tank.
The Bare bottom i saw is one of the best options a tank would have.

bare bottom tanks have their own problems. all you need to do is scrub off the rocks and put them back in. just taking out the sand and boiling all the rock willl just make the tank worse. the rock and sand have all the good bacteria in them.

bare bottom tanks have their own problems. all you need to do is scrub off the rocks and put them back in. just taking out the sand and boiling all the rock willl just make the tank worse. the rock and sand have all the good bacteria in them.

I tried, i scrubbed a lot. The stone remains green. I bake it, the algae is still there. The rocks are compromised that's for sure.
I am going to make new ones sing garph's.

Bacteria is one of my latest concerns right now. I need to get rid of this alage accumulation. If there is something i did wrong was in the beginnin buying this shi**** live rocks. :frustrat:

It was going to much too fast.

You tank is 3 months old. It takes time for everything to get balanced. If I recall, you used tap water at the begining right? That just causes problems.

You added alot of fish very fast. That causes problems

Algea is just par for the course. It comes in you battle it and it goes away. Boiling the rocks actually hurts the process. It kills anything on them. The rock then need to go through a cycle again.

Just stick with regular maintanance and it will eventually get better.

Remember the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a disaster. Ask anyone on here. We have all been through it. It takes time to control the algea. Any quick fix will either not work or just end up hurting you in the long run.

Hope everything turns out good for you:Cheers:

I'm not trying to be rude, just honest.
There is no doubt that this is an expensive hobby, that's for sure.
So if you can't afford to AT LEAST buy a cheap RO/DI system or water from your LFS, or to buy rock that isn't already covered in nuisance algae, then you are in the wrong hobby.
And like other said, you need to go slow.
Going bare bottom isn't going to fix anything. In fact if you don't have a sump with a good protein skimmer, you'll be removing an important part of your biological filtration by removing the sand. Having a good protein skimmer in a sump will let you get away with not having natural biological filtration sources like a sand bed and lots of live rock.

i am using ro/di water since 2 months i've een taking off water and i couldn't see any signs of improving.
As i've said my mistake was using live rocks that were full of algae and diatoms on them.
Now learning from mistakes i will make my own rock

I would suggest not to go bare bottom, that type of system is for someone advanced, with out sand in your tank you will constantly be fighting your PH, My 120 is bare bottom experimental tank and its the hardest one to control out of all of my tanks.

As everyone mentioned you need to be patient, aquariums take up to 6 months to establish and actually start to show good progress. You are constantly making changes and not giving your tank time to cycle and become established.

You need to sit back take a deep breath and let your tank be, it will work its way out. Unfortunatly you will not solve your problem just by making your own rock. You are correct that buying the rock in the first place was probably a mistake but it can be cleaned up, it just might take longer because it was already full of phosphates, it will need to slowly release those phosphates.

qx let it run its course and be patient. It will level out eventually. Don't always expect everything to be in check, because it won't always be.

i will do something using eggcrate pannels and crushed corals mixed with portland cement. I will build the bottom and the back with raised up and downs rock alike bottom

qx let it run its course and be patient. It will level out eventually. Don't always expect everything to be in check, because it won't always be.

In the past few days water has becomed smelly.
The diatoms were floating everywhere in the tank and the grass was nurishing like crazy.
Flatworms, all sort of bugs and creatures ..
Hell no, i must start with other rocks and no rocks, or maybe one at the time if i can do my own.

Why don't you just try using patience? It seems everything you've done with your tank you go full speed ahead. You want an amazing looking reef tank that takes most people years to get in about a month or two. You've got to slow down my friend and let nature takes it course.

It's good that you are now using RO water.
But my tank is a year old and I'm still having hair algae problems and I started with mature healthy rock so I know how you feel. You're biggest mistake was introducing tainted live rock to your system in the beginning. If I was you, especially since you're not that far into it and if the tank is as bad as you describe, I would start over with new rock and sand. Just start clean. Don't put anything in your tank that already has nuisance algae. Then do like everyone says and go slow. Let the tank properly cycle, let it go through it's normal stages.

the problem as i was told was crushed corals. I bought today aragonite and have a new layer. I bough live rocks with 3$/pound which isnt bad
I'l try a new set up tonight. I am moving th fish and all the corals in another smaller tank where they will stay 2 months until the new tank will cycle. Thats for now

It's a battle in the beginning. You have to stick with r/o water, slow down and don't expect an "instant" reef. Get some cheato in the sump and live rock, even put a piece of rock with the hair algae on it in there. I had that purple hair crap all over my tank, I started my sump and then when I did watere changes I used a small tube I have and sucked all I could off the rocks. I don't see it coming back, but it took a few weeks to get a handle on it. I think you just need to be more patient with this little eco system and stop jostling it all up.....

Do you still have the anemone?

yes she grew up a lot.
Now she will have to stay in a container a few days.
I have a back up tank where i placed the corals.
Two disc corals and Blue Xenia already dead :frustrat:

I am thinking now to put the anemone with corals in the back up tank and put the fish in the newly set up tank, they do not need much light .

Can i put my fishies i the new tank?
I will not overfeed them.
I don't have a place for them since my anemone will eat them in the back up tank

Back