Water Change??

RedTornado

Reefing newb
Okay i just tested my water and since yesterday my nitrites have dropped from .25 ppm to 0 ppm i did the test 3 times just to be sure. Right now my ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate anywhere from 10 ppm to 5 ppm. From what i have read once i get a hold of some cheato that will help bring the nitrates down closer to 0.

Should i do a water change at this time? If so how much? 20%?

So you all know this site is awesome it has helped me out a ton.

My LFS truly sucks. So bad that i would rather drive 2 hours to a different one that deals only with saltwater.

Its been only 2.5 weeks. In that time i had a rooting shrimp in there for a week my ammonia got up to a little over 1 ppm.

Do you think it is still to soon to really add anything into the tank? I probably wont get a chance to get to the store till next week. I know the longer i wait the better to let the bacteria establish itself but looking at a empty tank is not a easy thing to do either.

Cheato, although an excellent way to reduce nitrates and phosphates, will not by itself get rid of them. Good strong flow, lots of live rock, skimmers, under-stocking fish and reactors are all excellent ways to reduce 'trates.

Also, do NOT over-feed!

Awesome thats what i was hoping to hear. I was thinking of adding a ocellaris clown and a cleaner shrimp. For the first additions into the tank. Then in time a yellow tang, foxface, watchman goby, and maybe a flame angle and some more to the clean up crew.

Any suggestions on a clean up crew?

I would hold off on the shrimp for at least a month. Shrimp are much more sensitive to fish and may not do well in a new tank. The clown is a good addition though. Your other fish ideas would work well too.

For a clean up crew, I'd add a mix of snails to start. Then maybe a month down the road, get the shrimp and a starfish or two. You could also add a couple emerald crabs if you start to see algae. If you want to add hermit crabs, you can, but some people avoid them because they kill snails.

75 gallons really isn't big enough for a yellow tang...

Some nasarius (I always spell that wrong, sorry) and turbo snails would be good.

And someone might correct me, but I think you'd be okay with a pair of clowns...

Back